EV vs Cognos 8....which is best for TM1

Faizal

EV vs Cognos 8....which is best for TM1

Post by Faizal »

Hi All

Just looking at both products. Biggest concerns are whether EV will be supported in the near future and and how well does Cognos plug into TM1.
David Usherwood
Site Admin

Re: EV vs Cognos 8....which is best for TM1

Post by David Usherwood »

Both are possible. EV has a future (at least) as a component in an upcoming new mid market offering which looks most promising but I'm not going to be the first to disclose here :) . C8.4 links pretty neatly into TM19.4 .

I would say that if you want a frontend just for TM1 then EV is better, faster, simpler and more powerful. If you want to link to relational sources as well then C8.4 is the choice, but it's a bigger beast.

Of course there's always TM1 Web, or even Excel. I recall a strange dialogue a colleague had with a non-TM1 partner at the jolly in Prague where they kept asking - 'but how do you _report_ with TM1?' Cognos types get so used to the situation of EP not having reporting that they expect that to be the way it is. It isn't.
RLReyes
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.1.1
Excel Version: 2010

Post by RLReyes »

I haven't used Cognos 8, but we have used EV for over a year. EV is like a cube view on steriods. It's a powerful tool. The only downside is that when you are creating an EV view, you can't create a view from multiple cubes (unlike perspectives). An EV view is limited to only 1 cube.
- Rod

TM1 Version: 10.1.1
Excel: 2010
David Usherwood
Site Admin

Post by David Usherwood »

Hmmm....
How would you create a multi cube view with Perspectives? You can do it with Excel, sure.
RLReyes
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.1.1
Excel Version: 2010

Post by RLReyes »

David Usherwood wrote:Hmmm....
How would you create a multi cube view with Perspectives? You can do it with Excel, sure.
Excel is what I meant when I said Perspectives...
- Rod

TM1 Version: 10.1.1
Excel: 2010