Eating disk Space

LeeTaylor1979
OLAP Product: IBM Cognos TM1
Version: 10.2.2
Excel Version: 2010

Eating disk Space

Post by LeeTaylor1979 »

Every now and then a folder is created on the C: which eats up 1.2Gb of space.

This file disapears after a short while and we get the space back.

The route is :

C:\Windows \ PCHealth \ ERRORREP \ Userdumps.

This is a HDMP file ??????????

Anyone any idea what this is ?

Regards

Lee
BigDSter
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 9.4.1
Excel Version: 2007

Re: Eating disk Space

Post by BigDSter »

When the server crashes, it usually dumps a large log file to that folder. In theory Applix can take that file and work out what went wrong, in practice it's pretty useless and can be deleted straight away, unless you have a persistant problem.

Thats my experience anyway, deleted one this morning.
David Newton
Burtons Foods
Steve Vincent
Site Admin
Version: 10.2.2 FP1

Post by Steve Vincent »

Thats a server setting to log various crash events / notifications, probably using Dr Watson if its a windows sever. As Dave said its pretty useless from a TM1 point of view. Applix took an error report from me ages ago and they were never able to use it to help find out why it was crashing.

Get your IT guys to check the DrWatson settings on the server (run > drwtsn32). There are various settings in there including max number of errors to keep, filedump size etc. If they do need to keep tracking crashes, they should at least switch it to the "mini" dump type to help save you space - sounds like its on full.
If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator.
Production: Planning Analytics 64 bit 2.0.5, Windows 2016 Server. Excel 2016, IE11 for t'internet
jim wood
Site Admin
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by jim wood »

BigDSter wrote:When the server crashes, it usually dumps a large log file to that folder. In theory Applix can take that file and work out what went wrong, in practice it's pretty useless and can be deleted straight away, unless you have a persistant problem.

Thats my experience anyway, deleted one this morning.
They can be useful when experiencing persistent problems. We problems with crashing. We sent a dump (40gb in size) to support and a revised solaris version was released, sorting our problem.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
BigDSter
Version: 9.4.1
Excel Version: 2007

Post by BigDSter »

jim wood wrote: We sent a dump (40gb in size) to support and a revised solaris version was released, sorting our problem.
lol, that would have given our IT Support guys kittens, was bad enough trying to get a 300mb zipped file uploaded to Applix :D
David Newton
Burtons Foods
jim wood
Site Admin

Post by jim wood »

It took us weeks to get it on to their ftp site. Only one guy in our company has access to ftp and he complained about the size etc. We got there in the end. The irony is the that they only needed one section of the dump anyway!! :D
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Steve Vincent
Site Admin
Version: 10.2.2 FP1

Post by Steve Vincent »

personally i'd have created a split archive for it, burned to DVDs then posted it...
...our FTP connection is very iffy when it comes to large files, i can't even download TM1 install files here and had to do it from home :(
If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator.
Production: Planning Analytics 64 bit 2.0.5, Windows 2016 Server. Excel 2016, IE11 for t'internet
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

Steve Vincent wrote:personally i'd have created a split archive for it, burned to DVDs then posted it...
...our FTP connection is very iffy when it comes to large files, i can't even download TM1 install files here and had to do it from home :(
Back when we were having our Great Crash Issues (TM and patents Pending, 8.2.10 and 8.2.11) I burnt them to disk. One of the guys who worked for (then) Applix lived just near our (then) office and kindly offered to pick them up.

But I have to agree with the general uselessness of them; they never cured the problem. Only moving to 8.2.12 did that.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
LeeTaylor1979
OLAP Product: IBM Cognos TM1
Version: 10.2.2

Post by LeeTaylor1979 »

Thanks Guys,

I have got IT on the DrWatson case.

We are moving to 9.4 in the very near future and creating a new server with lots of disk space so should not be a problem soon.

At present we have 1.25Gb of space and this error files come in at 1.2Gb so bringing the services down every now and then.

Thanks again

Lee
jim wood
Site Admin

Post by jim wood »

Check to see if IT can write a schedule to remove any log file every night. It's not that hard to do and it just may reduce the number of crashes,

Jim.
Shop at Amazon