TM1 9.4 MR1 Crash when chores queue up

Ken Vuong

TM1 9.4 MR1 Crash when chores queue up

Post by Ken Vuong »

Hi all,

I have encountered an issue that is a show stopper for us going live with TM1 9.4 MR1. I consider this a bug as it does not manifest itself in TM1 9.0 SP3 and it may affect you.

The issue is when our intraday chore (runs every 10 minutes) runs into our overnight chore (runs at 6am every morning) Because the overnight chore take 20 minutes, the usual scenario is for the intraday to wait until the overnight chore has finished before starting. This does not happen in TM1 9.4 MR1.
TM1 9.4 MR1 runs the intraday chore BEFORE the overnight one is finished. Which buggers up everything and crashes the TM1 server.

...and I get left with a blooming }CubeProperties.cub$

In fact the last listed process (of overnight chore) is a savedataall, but this is never runs.

It could just be our system here, or could be that Cognos has changed the way Savedataall works or decided that chores should interfere with each other, but it's dam annoying.
I have also attached a word doco that I sent to Cognos support. This will give you a more detailed description of what is going on.

Any advice would be very welcomed.
Cheers,

Ken
Attachments
TM1 9.4 MR1 bug.doc
(287 KiB) Downloaded 318 times
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: Office 365

Re: TM1 9.4 MR1 Crash when chores queue up

Post by lotsaram »

... disappointing as I thought they sorted this issue out in 9.1.4

This might be a kludgy workaround but no reason why it wouldn't work. Have a control cube that lists by time blocks and days of the week when your intra day chore should run, check on the prolog of the first process whether the intraday chore should run or quit. This should be easy to implement and no reason why it shouldn't work.
Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.
David Usherwood
Site Admin

Post by David Usherwood »

Ken, I'm back from the Middle East on Monday (actually I'm in Amsterdam now - long story) and will call you then to discuss possible solutions/workrounds.
nhavis

Post by nhavis »

Make your daily process declare and set a user variable to 1 when it runs and 0 when it finishes.

Your 10 minute process can check this user variable to see if the daily process is currently running and quit accordingly.
Ken Vuong

Post by Ken Vuong »

Thanks for that.
I will probably use the flagging method (in one of the lookup cubes) and then get the chores to reference that before executing.

I am still going to get IBM\Cognos to give me an answer, especially now that I realised that it was a bug in 9.1.
Can anyone confirm what version of 9.1 this bug was fixed?

Cheers,
Ken
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

Ken Vuong wrote:Thanks for that.
I will probably use the flagging method (in one of the lookup cubes) and then get the chores to reference that before executing.

I am still going to get IBM\Cognos to give me an answer, especially now that I realised that it was a bug in 9.1.
Can anyone confirm what version of 9.1 this bug was fixed?
SP4.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.