How can I run TM1 ver 2.5 on Windows 7???

rozmus.rafal
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 2.5
Excel Version: 2007

How can I run TM1 ver 2.5 on Windows 7???

Post by rozmus.rafal »

I have the following error:
"The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you are running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher"

Of course, the problem is with 64bit, but I know there were some patches previously that allowed to move from win xp to vista.

Is there something similar for win 7???

Thanks,
Rafal
declanr
MVP
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: PA2.0 and most of the old ones
Excel Version: All of em

Re: How can I run TM1 ver 2.5 on Windows 7???

Post by declanr »

Seriously? 2.5?

Is there absolutely no chance of you being able to upgrade your version of tm1? Keeping in mind we are into the 10's.
Declan Rodger
rozmus.rafal

Post by rozmus.rafal »

Seriosuly 2.5, but it's working fine both xp and vista, now the problem is 64bits....

Any clue?
Paul Segal
Community Contributor
Version: TM1 11 and up
Excel Version: Too many to count

Post by Paul Segal »

vm version of xp running on the windows 7 box?

(but yes, seriously, 2.5!?!)
Paul
rozmus.rafal

Post by rozmus.rafal »

vm - you mean virtual machine?
Paul Segal
Community Contributor

Post by Paul Segal »

Yes.
Paul
David Usherwood
Site Admin

Post by David Usherwood »

Windows 7 Professional & Ultimate support 'XP Mode' (normally as a downloadable extra, but it's licensed). This is a (fairly) lightweight 32-bit XP environment. I'd have thought that TM1 2.5 would run on that environment. Alternatively you could run a third party VM environment such as Vmware (Player is free, Workstation isn't) or Oracle's VirtualBox, which is free. But in either case you need to source an XP license. I've used all of these for other 'legacy' apps and they work fine. Make sure you have enough RAM allocated to the guest OS and expect some performance hit due to the virtualisation layer.
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by lotsaram »

I have to add, seriously!? Takes the mind back a few decades (and a few takeovers, ... pre IBM, pre Cognos, pre Applix even, back to SinPer). v2.5 came on 2x floppy disk and supported Excel and I think Lotus 123. I *think* 2.5 was "perspectives only" desktop version where the equivalent server version would have been v6. There was no dimension or subset editor only XDIs and no cube viewer, just a "slice creator" kind of GUI. And cubes were stored as .TAB files. There was no TI but there were rules. Ahh, back in the day...

If you have the install floppy it might be worth something as a collectors edition, more if you have the box and manual. (Seriously!)

Also seriously if you have an application that is so old that is hasn't been upgraded or had software maintenance paid for more than 20 years then you should be looking at all alternatives. Highly, highly likely that what is needed is not just a software upgrade but an application rebuild (I can't imagine the app is that complex so shouldn't take too long ...) And if the application would be rebuilt anyway then you should consider what other software could do the job. In addition to TM1, there's a host of (cheaper) alternatives, Palo community edition, PowerOLAP, any number of MS SQL Server based solutions ...
rozmus.rafal

Post by rozmus.rafal »

So, coming back to my question, is there any 'patch' that will enable me to work in win 7?
Thanks for suggestions!
Paul Segal
Community Contributor

Post by Paul Segal »

rozmus.rafal wrote:So, coming back to my question, is there any 'patch' that will enable me to work in win 7?
Other than those suggested by David? Unlikely. Version 2.5 is a very very (very) old version, and nobody will be looking to provide patches for it to work natively on Windows 7. It really is time to move on.
Paul
Mike Cowie
Site Admin
OLAP Product: IBM TM1/PA, SSAS, and more
Version: Anything thru 11.x
Excel Version: 2003 - Office 365

Post by Mike Cowie »

Hi All:

Agreed with other commenters on the only possibility of running Perspectives 2.5 with Windows 7 being through VMs, and even that's not ideal given the age of that release.

Perspectives 2.5 and Server 6.0 were the first releases I started using back in 1997 (both Rev D, I think). What a blast from the past! Thought someone might appreciate some photos the vault (bookshelf) - sorry for the poor quality. Perspectives 2.5 and Server 6 with software in the binder envelopes and Perspectives manual sealed in original plastic: :o
Perspectives 2.0 & Server 6.0
Perspectives 2.0 & Server 6.0
Perspectives 2.5 & Server 6.jpg (58.23 KiB) Viewed 13143 times
As an added bonus, Perspectives 1.0 complete with "Registration for Support" card: :)
Perspectives 1.0
Perspectives 1.0
Perspectives 1.0.jpg (98.83 KiB) Viewed 13143 times
Not for sale!!

Regards,
Mike
Mike Cowie
QueBIT Consulting, LLC

Are you lost without Print Reports in Planning Analytics for Excel (PAfE)? Get it back today, for free, with Print Reports for IBM Planning Analytics for Excel!
rozmus.rafal

Post by rozmus.rafal »

So perhaps, you can help me out suggesting other simple software. I need to run some queries on Business Inteligence systems, let's say it is: gross and net profit, with the name, product line, profit center and date. I need to load it somewhere and store (like in TM1), then I need to create Excel file with all this parameters. My idea is to store the data for approx. two years and to have quick access to it. So whenever I change the month and year I will have all the results displayed. I need 6 or 7 dimensions....Is there anybody that can guide me on any software?
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

rozmus.rafal wrote:So perhaps, you can help me out suggesting other simple software.
This would be... after you read Lotsaram's post above, right?
lotsaram wrote: Also seriously if you have an application that is so old that is hasn't been upgraded or had software maintenance paid for more than 20 years then you should be looking at all alternatives. Highly, highly likely that what is needed is not just a software upgrade but an application rebuild (I can't imagine the app is that complex so shouldn't take too long ...) And if the application would be rebuilt anyway then you should consider what other software could do the job. In addition to TM1, there's a host of (cheaper) alternatives, Palo community edition, PowerOLAP, any number of MS SQL Server based solutions ...
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
rozmus.rafal

Post by rozmus.rafal »

Yes, I naturally read that, but I need sth really simple I can settle on my own in couple of days, I am from finance community, so no idea how sql servers work...
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Post by Alan Kirk »

rozmus.rafal wrote:Yes, I naturally read that, but I need sth really simple I can settle on my own in couple of days, I am from finance community, so no idea how sql servers work...
You're expecting to install, learn and use a completely new piece of software like, say, PALO (which Lotsaram also mentioned amongst others), in two days?

That might be optimistic, despite PALO's similarity to TM1, or more precisely to versions of TM1 which were built some time after the Ark was.

That being the case, the reason that you're ignoring David Usherwood's suggestion is....?
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
jim wood
Site Admin
Version: PA 2.0.7

Post by jim wood »

This reminds me of "Battle of the Planets" I was obsessed with it as a kid. I always kept fond memories of it. I decided it would be a good idea to watch one a couple of years ago. What a mistake that was. It was utter dross. The morale of the story is, like Battle of the Planets, 2.5 belongs in the past.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
jim wood
Site Admin
Version: PA 2.0.7

Post by jim wood »

Alan Kirk wrote:the reason that you're ignoring David Usherwood's suggestion is....?
My guess would be lack of licenses or software to hand on all fronts. It's the only reason anybody in their not so right mind would consider using 2.5.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Post by Alan Kirk »

jim wood wrote: I decided it would be a good idea to watch one a couple of years ago. What a mistake that was. It was utter dross. The morale of the story is, like Battle of the Planets, 2.5 belongs in the past.
Rather like watching the Richard Greene version of Robin Hood...
-----------
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Post by Alan Kirk »

jim wood wrote:
Alan Kirk wrote:the reason that you're ignoring David Usherwood's suggestion is....?
My guess would be lack of licenses or software to hand on all fronts. It's the only reason anybody in their not so right mind would consider using 2.5.
Could be. In which case I'm wondering whether rather than running a full blown VM, changing the compatibility mode of the application via the shortcut would have any effect. I've never had to do it and I don't know how effective it is, but it's worth a shot.
-----------
rozmus.rafal

Post by rozmus.rafal »

Yes, David suggestion is good one , I appreciate. The reason, I am asking is because I do not understand many things here...Anyway thanks for help guys, you are doing all great job here!!!