Creating View in Applications Folder

winsonlee
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: Cognos Express
Version: 9.5
Excel Version: 2007

Creating View in Applications Folder

Post by winsonlee »

I would like to find out if there is an automated way of creating folders in the applications ?
The folder structure will be a replicate of a dimension eg Sales Rep dimension which has the following structure

Sales Manager David
-- Sales Rep Henry
---- Top10 Products Sales for Henry
-- Sales Rep William
---- Top10 Products Sales for William
Sales Manager Thomas
-- Sales Rep Dune
---- Top10 Products Sales for Dune
-- Sales Rep Bee
---- Top10 Products Sales for Bee

What i would like to achieve is to create different view for each of the rep. The issue here is not so much about automating the process to create the view for each of the rep. The issue is more towards automating the creation of folders under the applications and also assigning the view to the respective rep folder.
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: Office 365

Re: Creating View in Applications Folder

Post by lotsaram »

I would question why you would want to set things up like this as such redundancy doesn't seem like good design to me as it looks like you could have a single view in a single folder for all reps and manage the content of the view changing via element security of the "territory" dimension in a title element. If your security isn't set up this way then you could use subsets to achieve the same result I think.

But as to your question the simple answer is no. Application folder and entry creation has a ridiculously limited interface with copy/paste or right-click "send to application folder" type creation not supported, let alone any automation. Never been down the road myself but I hear that it is possible with API although creating or assigning the blob file is apparently tricky. (Mind you if you are not adverse to bouncing the server and having the }ApplicationEntries dimension rebuild from folder structure and contents then I think you could automate it pretty easily using your coding solution of choice.)