jim wood
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

TI Funny When Recreating a Dimension

Post by jim wood »

Guys,

I came up against a funny issue yesterday. We are currently running 9.1 SP U2 and I was messing around on our 32-bit windows development server. I have an outlet diemension called taps outlet (Don't ask). On the production server this has since changed to trading outlet (Much more sensible). On the dev box I completed a save as within the dimension editor to create trading outlet based on taps outlet. This worked a treat. I then copied the production dimension control file over to development (Most up to date) and started to edit the taps outlet recreate TI process. I replaced any mention of taps outlet and even checked the generated code in the prolog, metadat and data tabs. They looked fine. I saved the process as something else and ran it. Upon checking the server it had still updated taps outlet which was strange. I of course went back and checked the whole process. It was fine so I re-ran it. It updated taps outlet again. I looked further in to it. I found that taps outlet has an alias and trading outlet did not. I changed the TI process so it created the alias instead of trying to update a current one. Low and behold it worked. While I undertstand that what I was trying to achieve shouldn't work due to the lack of an alias, but I was suprised that instead of chucking out an error it updated the dimension that old process was originally pointing too. (Even thought there was no reference to it any where in the process.)

Keep an eye for this one,

Jim.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
Steve Vincent
Site Admin
Version: 10.2.2 FP1
Excel Version: 2010

Re: TI Funny When Recreating a Dimension

Post by Steve Vincent »

Are you 100% sure the generated code was pointing to the right dim? I've seen generated code get screwed up by missing an element out before, but not update the wrong dimension. The change to create the alias rather than update may have just kicked the generator in to life and it realised the dim had changed, thus correcting the code. My experience is with 9.0 but i wouldn't be surprised if that had been carried in to 9.1 as well..
If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator.
Production: Planning Analytics 64 bit 2.0.5, Windows 2016 Server. Excel 2016, IE11 for t'internet
Steve Rowe
Site Admin
Version: TM1 v6,v7,v8,v9,v10,v11+PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

Post by Steve Rowe »

I tend to avoid the generated code like the Black Death...

About the only time I use it is if I let it write some script for me, copy and paste it out and then set all the vars to other.

I've seen the generated script get corrupted being copied from server to server and also not update the underlying text file on the server.
Not that any of the above helps at all! I guess just to reinforce the general warning of relying on the wizard script too much.

Cheers
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
jim wood
Site Admin

Post by jim wood »

Steve Vincent wrote:Are you 100% sure the generated code was pointing to the right dim?
Oh yes. I checked and then checked again. So as Steve said, be warned.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
jim wood
Site Admin

Post by jim wood »

Steve Rowe wrote:I tend to avoid the generated code like the Black Death...

About the only time I use it is if I let it write some script for me, copy and paste it out and then set all the vars to other.

I've seen the generated script get corrupted being copied from server to server and also not update the underlying text file on the server.
Not that any of the above helps at all! I guess just to reinforce the general warning of relying on the wizard script too much.

Cheers
I tend to use generated code quite a bit as it is easier to explain and hand over. You do have to be careful though. A lot of the time I find myself rebuilding things when I could be copying.
Shop at Amazon