How to run chore one after another?

abcuser
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: 9.5.2
Excel Version: 0

How to run chore one after another?

Post by abcuser »

Hi,
using Cognos TM1 v9.5.2 on Windows 2008 RC2 I have created several chores (chores are running processes). But time to time it happens that I need to run for example 10 chores one after another. Is there a way I can execute them with some "job" or something. I know I can create one huge chore with all of the processes inside (but I don't want to do this, because individual chores can change - new processes added, deleted etc), but is there something simpler to do like to combine multiple chores in some execution group or something?
Is there a way to execute another chore from previous chore when it finishes?
Thanks
AmbPin
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: TM1
Excel Version: 2007-10

Re: How to run chore one after another?

Post by AmbPin »

Hello,

The only ways I can think to do this are
  • Have a task that acts like a chore - this task would ExecuteProcess for all of the processes that are currntly listed within your chore. You could then have super task which executes your process launch tasks.
  • You can Execute TM1 processes from the DOS CMD line therefore you could have a BAT file that acts the same as a chore. Again you could have a super BAT file that shells task launch BAT files.
Hope that makes some sort of sense.
sypkens
OLAP Product: TM1
Excel Version: 2007

Re: How to run chore one after another?

Post by sypkens »

Hi

I have recently encountered something similar where i needed to execute chores using TM1RunTI which according to the documentation it cannot do (I believe it will only execute processes).

My work around was to build a cube with a pick list to }Processes and the ability to specify parameters and their values. I then have a central process with a parameter to identify the process you wish to run that gets called from the command line. This way you execute the processes in a sequence you want and still easily update the parameters if they need to change. I also have active flags so you can easily disable individual steps or the complete process if needed.

See the screenshot for a rough idea of how it works.

Regards,

Jan
Attachments
Screenshot
Screenshot
Screenshot.jpg (254.34 KiB) Viewed 3064 times