TM1 Options loosing configuration

Twiggej
OLAP Product: IBM Cognos TM1
Version: 10.2.2
Excel Version: 2013

TM1 Options loosing configuration

Post by Twiggej »

Hi All,

I saw something happen that I have never seen happen to TM1 before.
A user phoned and complained that when see tried to access TM1 Client, she got the following error message: "E10) Data directory not found".
When I went into her TM1 Options the login parameters, the admin server SSL, local server and TM1 HTTP connector settings were all blank.
She claims she worked on TM1 the entire day with no problems and then all of a sudden she got this error message.
Since she is one of my super users and we are in month end, this really wasn't a good time for something like this to happen.

Although this problem has now been resolved by updating her options with the relevant information I still need to provide them with an explanation as to why this happened. Can anyone help me explain why this happened?

Jackie
jim wood
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Re: TM1 Options loosing configuration

Post by jim wood »

Hi Jackie,

Since version 8 the user details are stored in the windows folder for that user (Their profile). When we first installed the software on our network no settings were saved at all due to a security restriction. This was resolved but we still get a situation where it returns to the installation default when our lovely guys in IT peform a temporary file clean up.

May be the user in question either had their temporary files deleted for them or they cleaned them up themselves,

Jim.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

Twiggej wrote:Hi All,

I saw something happen that I have never seen happen to TM1 before.
A user phoned and complained that when see tried to access TM1 Client, she got the following error message: "E10) Data directory not found".
When I went into her TM1 Options the login parameters, the admin server SSL, local server and TM1 HTTP connector settings were all blank.
She claims she worked on TM1 the entire day with no problems and then all of a sudden she got this error message.
Since she is one of my super users and we are in month end, this really wasn't a good time for something like this to happen.

Although this problem has now been resolved by updating her options with the relevant information I still need to provide them with an explanation as to why this happened. Can anyone help me explain why this happened?
What Jim said, though the location of the file tends to vary between versions and O/S's. The file you're looking for is tm1p.ini, and it's pretty certain that somehow, some way, it was blown away or rendered unreadable.

Of course, .ini files are a relic from Windows 3.1, and were (according to Microsoft's programming guidelines) supposed to be consigned to the bin in favour of Registry entries when Windows 95 came out.

Applix hasn't been in a hurry to evolve. (Though admittedly the advantage of .ini files is that you can just copy 'em and pop 'em into the client's folders.)
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
Twiggej
OLAP Product: IBM Cognos TM1
Version: 10.2.2
Excel Version: 2013

Post by Twiggej »

Thank you for the adivse gentleman.

I will talk to the user and IT.

Jackie
Steve Rowe
Site Admin
Version: TM1 v6,v7,v8,v9,v10,v11+PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

Post by Steve Rowe »

It's also worth pointing out this message is only a problem for Perspective users running a local server, using dimension / rule worksheets.

I don't think the data directory path has any other user?
Cheers,
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
Steve Vincent
Site Admin
Version: 10.2.2 FP1
Excel Version: 2010

Post by Steve Vincent »

other than to annoy the living daylights out of the user all the time, nope ;)
If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator.
Production: Planning Analytics 64 bit 2.0.5, Windows 2016 Server. Excel 2016, IE11 for t'internet
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

Steve Rowe wrote:It's also worth pointing out this message is only a problem for Perspective users running a local server, using dimension / rule worksheets.

I don't think the data directory path has any other user?
Cheers,
It doesn't... however the problem isn't that you don't have a data directory as such, the problem is that the Admin Host server is also specified in the .ini file. If the .ini file doesn't load, then you don't have the Admin Host which means that you don't see any TM1 servers. The E10 error is merely the symptom that tells you that this has happened. Once again, it's a TM1 error message which is technically correct... but entirely misleading as to the essential problem.

This is always problem #1 with any new users that I have (or existing users who get a new machine), which is why I have to include a paragraph about setting that up with the login instructions.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
Steve Rowe
Site Admin
Version: TM1 v6,v7,v8,v9,v10,v11+PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

Post by Steve Rowe »

Hmm, OK I've never seen the ini file not load at all. Sometimes you get a client that has managed to have an ini file from a perspective session confused by having a data directory specified.
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk