Search Function for VUE Files

Darkhorse
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2.2
Excel Version: 2003 2007 2010 2013

Search Function for VUE Files

Post by Darkhorse »

Hi all

Is there a standard TI that allows me to search every VUE file in my server for a specific subset and give me the name?

I created a mass TI system that always opens and creates the same name for the Dimension subset and destroy straight after, however due to creating a new TI someones snuck in and used my subset as a view and i need to delete there view so i can carry on using my other TI's

thanks
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Re: Search Function for VUE Files

Post by tomok »

Not that I'm aware of but VUE files are plain text. Just use the Windows Search function on the data folder for the name of the subset and it will return all the VUE files that contain that subset in them.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
garry cook
Community Contributor
Version: Various
Excel Version: Various

Post by garry cook »

I wrote a tool that did that years ago but since Microsoft in their infinite wisdow removed Application.FileSearch from Excel 07 onwards it fails to play ball and I've never got round to replacing the functionality :(
Darkhorse
Excel Version: 2003 2007 2010 2013

Post by Darkhorse »

Hi tomak that would be a great idea if it didnt return over 50-60 vues at a time not to mention the views are all in difrent user folder :shock: :lol:

FYI i wasted about an hour doing that proposel before writing this post... i barely dented it
Steve Rowe
Site Admin
Version: TM1 v6,v7,v8,v9,v10,v11+PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

Post by Steve Rowe »

Hi,

There is also a bug that has been in and out of TI for years where even if you have destroyed the view it won't let you delete the subset.
This often happens durng periods of dev and cleared by a restart. Not sure if this is what you are suffering from?

Cheers
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
Marcus Scherer
Community Contributor
Excel Version: 2016

Post by Marcus Scherer »

Yes, Steve pointed to a good direction. Using hard-coded view and subset names instead of variable ones is more stable in this case.

If this is not the case, you can read out subset names from the *.vue file. The rows with subset names start always with a 6, (e.g. 6, Default). I wrote a process that determines these subsets and puts it in another view (see attachment). But you could also read out the name instead. Of course you would also need to loop through alle relevant folders that contain *.vue files before.
Attachments
611_ZeroOutView.pro
(4.87 KiB) Downloaded 439 times
jstrygner
MVP
Version: 9.5.2 FP3
Excel Version: 2010

Post by jstrygner »

Hi,

A while ago I had exactly this need - to find all .vue files in data model that contain particular string (subset name).

All I did, I created a SearchString.bat file with such a code in:

Code: Select all

@echo off
findstr /i /m /s "SubsetName" *.vue > SearchString.txt
After you paste this SearchString.bat file in the data model and execute this it will search through all .vue files (in this case also in subfolders) for the "SubsetName" stirng. Each file that has this string in its content will be listed in SearchString.txt file. If there will be no matches the SearchString.txt file will not get created (or updated if such one already existed from previous searches).

This is also handy if you want to search through .pro or other files, just adjust the SearchString.bat content.

Here you can find some more options and examples of how to use findstr function.
Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

Post by Wim Gielis »

jstrygner wrote:Hi,

A while ago I had exactly this need - to find all .vue files in data model that contain particular string (subset name).

@echo off
After you paste this SearchString.bat file in the data model and execute this it will search through all .vue files (in this case also in subfolders) for the "SubsetName" stirng. Each file that has this string in its content will be listed in SearchString.txt file. If there will be no matches the SearchString.txt file will not get created (or updated if such one already existed from previous searches).

This is also handy if you want to search through .pro or other files, just adjust the SearchString.bat content.

Here you can find some more options and examples of how to use findstr function.

Interesting approach !
One could use a tool like Notepad++ and have a GUI ;-)
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly
macsir
MVP
Version: PAL 2.0.9
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by macsir »

I found a perl script just a couple of days ago. Hope it is helpful. Check this one.
http://www.bihints.com/indexing_subsets
In TM1,the answer is always yes though sometimes with a but....
http://tm1sir.blogspot.com.au/
cfm04
Version: 10.1
Excel Version: Excel 2007

Post by cfm04 »

@echo off

This was very usefull.
Thank you.
Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

Post by Wim Gielis »

@echo off

This technique will output the filenames in a text file, relative to the current directory.
If you also require the full file name including the path, consider:

@echo off
findstr /i /m /s "SubsetName" "%CD%\*.vue" > SearchString.txt
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly