Dynamic Subsets & Cube Locking

Jon Olic

Dynamic Subsets & Cube Locking

Post by Jon Olic »

Im not sure if this has been covered before.

When recalculating a worksheet that contains a or many dynamic subsets whilst running a TI process or sending data via DBS to unrelated cubes TM1 9.4 MR1 Cube locking doesnt work . It will lock down the a worksheet for several minutes as a opposed to a few seconds it usually takes whether its via a TI process or a DBS.

Has anyone else noticed this?
Eric
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 9.4
Excel Version: 2003

Re: Dynamic Subsets & Cube Locking

Post by Eric »

Just to clarify, you are saying when the TI process locks users out from reading the cubes?

I have found the TI function

AllowExternalRequest;

useful, but with a warning. Never use it if the DIM is being update/created/recreated/etc in the TI

If I misunderstood you please let me know.
Regards,
Eric
Blog: http://tm1-tipz.blogspot.com
Articles: http://www.google.com/reader/shared/use ... /label/TM1

Production: 32 bit 9.0 SP2, Windows 2000 Advanced Server. Web: 32 bit 9.0 SP2, Windows 2000 Server. Excel 2003
ScottW
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: TM1 CX
Version: 9.5 9.4.1 9.1.4 9.0 8.4
Excel Version: 2003 2007

Post by ScottW »

Hi Jon,

That's an interesting one that it might be worthwhile getting some more detail on what exactly your upload spreadsheet is doing (i.e. how is the data being loaded, type over DBRW, DBSW, is any VBA involved ...), and what dynamic subsets are in use, and reporting to IBM. As long as the TI in question is not updating metadata that the dynamic subsets rely on then this extended locking for the duration of the TI running does not sound like intended behaviour. This would actually be quite a serious flaw in the locking model as many, if not a majority of TM1 worksheets/websheets would reference dynamic subsets. I haven't seen evidence of this behaviour myself but I will keep an eye out for it. Please keep the forum advised of the results of your investigation/enquiries into this.

With the new locking model AllowExternalRequests should no longer be required but it would be interesting to see if it had any effect.
Cheers,
Scott W
Cubewise
www.cubewise.com
Jon Olic

Post by Jon Olic »

Ok hopefully I explain this well.

At the moment we have our F10 budgeting going on so there are sends going on.

For example we have this one spreadsheet that contains Dynamic Subsets & DBRW and No VBA. When this spreadsheet is refreshed it is locking out any one else who is trying to send data for several minutes (up to 7 mins as opposed to a few seconds). The people who are budgeting are sending their data to a completely different cube with no related dimensions to the spreadsheet that contains the dynamic subsets.

When I temporarily remove the Dynamic Subsets from the spreadsheet there is no issue. TM1 flies like a jet.

The Dynamic Subsets are standard MDX they contain UNION & FILTERS. E.g.:
{union(
[Fxt COB Product Group].[Animal Planet Repackaged] ,
[Fxt COB Product Group].[Animal Planet Standard] )}

It’s not the first issue I have noticed with dynamic subsets and cube locking. When running a TI process, anyone who refreshes a report that contains Dynamic Subsets whilst a TI process has been executed regardless of whether the TI is updating Metadata or not will have there spreadsheets lock until the process finishes. I think this issue has been logged by our cubewise consultant.
Hope this is clear.