RUX and XRU file

Chengooi
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 9.4
Excel Version: 2003

RUX and XRU file

Post by Chengooi »

I have another weird experience, though I have fixed it but I thought I could share it out with you and get some feedback or insights which I have failed to see. :?

I have 2 rules inplace on 2 cubes, the rule on cube1 are in order, whenever I saved it's XRU (after maintenance has been performed), I noticed it's RUX get saved too. I supposed it works like .xdi and .dim, they are in paired!

While the other rule on cube 2 are not in order, I performed the same routine on it but I am required to maintain both XRU and RUX so they are in sync, If I performed on just XRU, I could see the result on excel only while If I missed the RUX side of it, no values from "Front door", does anyone had this experience? could the RUX and XRU of Cube2 corrupted and required rebuild? or ??? :?
The most wasted of all days is one without laughter.
e e cummings (1894-1962)
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Re: RUX and XRU file

Post by Alan Kirk »

Chengooi wrote:I have another weird experience, though I have fixed it but I thought I could share it out with you and get some feedback or insights which I have failed to see. :?

I have 2 rules inplace on 2 cubes, the rule on cube1 are in order, whenever I saved it's XRU (after maintenance has been performed), I noticed it's RUX get saved too. I supposed it works like .xdi and .dim, they are in paired!

While the other rule on cube 2 are not in order, I performed the same routine on it but I am required to maintain both XRU and RUX so they are in sync,
What on Earth do you mean by "I am required to maintain both XRU and RUX"? The .xru file is the source code. When you save it via the TM1 -> Rule Worksheets -> Save option it will (re)generate the final .rux file provided that you're (a) logged in and (b) you tell it to write to the correct server. (Much as you need to point messages to the correct forum. This message, for example, doesn't belong in the General Forum (which is for posts which don't relate to any specific OLAP application) where you originally posted it, and does belong in the TM1 Forum (which I've moved it to).) Similarly if you point the save to the wrong server, then the .rux will not be compiled.

If you're "maintaining" the .rux by either manually editing it, or by using the Rules editor, then you're committing the programming equivalent of finding a hornet's nest, shaking it onto the ground, and dancing on it barefoot.

You should maintain rules by one and only one method.
Chengooi wrote: If I performed on just XRU, I could see the result on excel only while If I missed the RUX side of it, no values from "Front door",
And I have no idea whatsoever of the meaning of that last expression.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
John Hobson
Site Admin
OLAP Product: Any
Version: 1.0
Excel Version: 2020

Post by John Hobson »

I think Chengooi is saying that if he uses the rule editor (the "front door") his XRU isn't being updated?

As you say Alan a potential hornets' nest awaits the unwary here.

Choose your weapons and stick with them Chengooi.

Being an old timer I am a firm believer in using the XRU spreadsheets but each to his own :D
If you are going to use the Excel interface take care as Alan points out that you are pointed to the right admin host. I have seen one or two clients overwrite a production rule file by mistake because they forgot to change admin host to point to a development server!!!
John Hobson
The Planning Factory
paulsimon
MVP
Version: PA 2.0.5
Excel Version: 2016

Post by paulsimon »

Chengooi

You should find that, so long as your TM1 Options are pointed at the directory where your XRU is then, when you save the RUX via the Rule Editor, it will prompt you to ask you if you want to update the XRU as well. If you say yes then it will update the XRU (beware though any formatting in the XRU and anything you put in column B will be lost).

Personally I haven't used XRUs in years. I prefer the Rule Editor. However, there are strong opinions on both sides. If only the nice SyncFusion Editor had actually worked.

I would check the Database Directory in your TM1 options. Also make sure that you are saving the Rules XRU via the TM1 menu and not just clicking Save in Excel. When you save a rule XRU, if you are connected to more than one server, eg a network and a local server, it will prompt you to save to one or the other. The RUX will only get updated on the selected server.

Regards

Paul Simon
Chengooi
Version: 9.4
Excel Version: 2003

Post by Chengooi »

Thanking you all to your replies.
I had another go on my XRU and it saved to RUX, now both my XRU and RUX are in synch which has met my original goal .
Now life goes on fine. Thanks again ;)

I prefer to use XRU and XDI files to carry out maintenance tasks, easier, safer and efficient.
The most wasted of all days is one without laughter.
e e cummings (1894-1962)