Using TM1 dimension caption in Report Studio

Matya
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.1
Excel Version: 2010

Using TM1 dimension caption in Report Studio

Post by Matya »

Hi!

I’m trying to make a report in Report Studio from TM1 cube. Unfortunatelly I can’t use dimension caption instead of dimension name in Report Studio’s source pane. (Not dimension element caption!)
Could anybody help me?

Thx,
Matya
paulsimon
MVP
Version: PA 2.0.5
Excel Version: 2016

Re: Using TM1 dimension caption in Report Studio

Post by paulsimon »

Matya

As far as I know TM1 doesn't have the concept of a Caption (or Alias) for a Dimension, as opposed to a Dimension Element. I am using an old version of TM1 at the moment, so I can't check.

You can Right Click on Dimensions and do Edit Attributes, which allows you to create Attributes on Dimensions. If you create a MEMBER_CAPTION Alias attribute on that, and enter a different name for the Dimension, then Cognos Report Studio might be able to pick that up. Behind the scenes it creates a
}DimensionAttributes cube in TM1.

I can see how this would be useful, particularly when delivering a model to people who speak different languages.

You might also try adding Element Attributes to the }Dimensions dimension to see if BI will pick that up.

Another possibility is to use the language element of Cognos BI to give different names for the dimension depending on the language selected.

Regards

Paul Simon
PlanningDev
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: Planning Analytics
Version: 2.0.5
Excel Version: 2016

Post by PlanningDev »

Not exactly sure what you are asking but when you import the cube into framework manager you are given the option to pick an alias for each language. This should be your caption. All other attributes show up in report studio as standard attributes would and are useable in the same way. If your caption wasn't set you should be able to use a different attribute in its place.
Matya
Version: 10.1

Post by Matya »

@Planningdev:
Thx for reply!
Yes, I know how i can use dimension element's alias as caption instead of dimension element's invariant name in BI.
My problem is: I see the dimension name in Report Studio's source pane instead of dimension caption.

I have attached three pictures:
@PerformanceModeler_DimensionCaption: You can see my dimensions at the Performance Modeler. PM shows the caption of dimension.
@DimensionAttributes_ControlCube: You can see Dimension Attributes control cube where I defined the captions for the dimensions.
@ReportStudio_DimensionName: You can see Report Studio shows dimension's name instead of dimension's caption and this is my problem.

Thx again for reply!
Attachments
ReportStudio_DimensionName.png
ReportStudio_DimensionName.png (16.67 KiB) Viewed 6299 times
DimensionAttributes_ControlCube.png
DimensionAttributes_ControlCube.png (15.28 KiB) Viewed 6299 times
PerformanceModeler_DimensionCaption.png
PerformanceModeler_DimensionCaption.png (11.42 KiB) Viewed 6299 times
AWTM1
OLAP Product: Tm1
Version: 10.2.2

Post by AWTM1 »

Has anyone found any solutions to the issue above - I would like to pull dimension alias names into Cognos 10, not caption names from TM1 10.2.
fede.viva

Post by fede.viva »

Hi, has anyone found a way to bring dimensions' names aliases from tm1 }DimensionAttributes cube into Cognos BI, by Framework Manager?

I managed to solve with translation for CAFE client following
http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecen ... names.html but no way with Cognos BI, creating a package in Framework Manager connecting TM1, it asks directly for what alias use for dimension elements given a language, not what caption use instead of the dimension name.

Thanks,
Federico