9.5.2 VUSlicing to Excel 2000

garry cook
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: Various
Excel Version: Various

9.5.2 VUSlicing to Excel 2000

Post by garry cook »

Yep, for reasons I won't go into, we've got some users that it turns out still use Excel 2000 with 9.5.2. Generally it appears to work ok except it gives the VBA error message (Debug / etc) whenever logging in/slicing.

VUSlicing obviously kills any VBA it is encased in stone dead as it throws this error thus killing off the sub it is running at the time.

We're moving the users up to Excel 2010 but in the short time we're waiting for the updates, I'm wondering on the off-chance if anyone's run into this previously and if so what the resolution they came up with was. Obvious things like DisplayEvents don't touch it as it's a VBA error so it fails to recognise the VUSlice line thus sticking resolutely there on the step through option.

Just incase anyone wants to come back telling me it's unsupported, etc, I'm well aware of this. Far more aware of this than I was of our random 2000 installs kicking about in remote sites apparently ;)

TIA
rkaif
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: IBM Cognos TM1
Version: 9.1 or later
Excel Version: 2003 or later

Re: 9.5.2 VUSlicing to Excel 2000

Post by rkaif »

In short, officially Excel 2000 is not supported with 9.5.2.

For details check out this URL: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.w ... wg27020888

When upgrading to Excel 2010 make sure that they upgrade to 32-bit version of Excel as per the support webpage provided below.
Cheers!
Rizwan Kaif
garry cook
Community Contributor

Post by garry cook »

Yes, as per my last paragraph, I'm well aware it's unsupported - I'm just wondering if anyone has come across a work around previously in a situation like this where some remote users turn up with only 2000 on their machines.

The users are in the process of being upgraded to 2010 and can use Citrix for now but it's a bit of a pain for them so I'm just trying to get a workaround for the next few days on the offchance that this has been dealt with elsewhere.
MSidat
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: TM1, PA
Version: PAL 2.0.8
Excel Version: 2016

Post by MSidat »

Garry,

Does the VUSlice always fail? I recall using this a while back on 2003 and noticed it gave an error when the view being retrieved had no data. My workaround was to first do a simple DBR at a relevant intersect before the VUSlice to ensure some data was being retrieved.

IF the error is not to do with that, and its purely an outdated excel version issue a simple on error statement wrapped around it should suffice in ensuring the sub completes in some fashion or even check the application version (Application.Version = ) in the VBA to only execute the VUSlice if the user is operating a minimum of 2003.
Always Open to Opportunities
garry cook
Community Contributor

Post by garry cook »

Cheers Mo however tried On Error handling first and forefost but still fails to work as it has to process the VUSLice line which throws the error which can't be skipped through normal VBA error handling.

Managed to get round it with a workaround so it's not an issue but it's a bit slower than I'd like. Hey ho, better slow than non existant ;)

Hope all is going well for you in your new role, should try and catch up some time soon bud.