Restore/create missing control object

Chengooi
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 9.4
Excel Version: 2003

Restore/create missing control object

Post by Chengooi »

I have a dimension that has no element security control cube object to it, does anyone knows how to create/restore it ? Your advice will be much appreciated. :)
The most wasted of all days is one without laughter.
e e cummings (1894-1962)
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Re: Restore/create missing control object

Post by Alan Kirk »

Chengooi wrote:I have a dimension that has no element security control cube object to it, does anyone knows how to create/restore it ? Your advice will be much appreciated. :)
- Right click on the dimension;
- Select Security -> Elements Security Assignments...
- Assign the security that you want;
- The control cube is then created automatically.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
ScottW
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: TM1 CX
Version: 9.5 9.4.1 9.1.4 9.0 8.4
Excel Version: 2003 2007

Post by ScottW »

Chengooi,

Alan has given you the instructions on how to create element security (which you could have also easily gotten from the security section of the TM1 Developers' Guide ...)

A pertinent question is WHY you want/need element security for this dimension? You do understand that element security should be used sparingly (and cell security very sparingly but that's another topic) and not for every dimension? Just because there is no element security for a given dimension does not mean that it needs to be restored or should be there, chances are it shouldn't be there.

Once element level security is created for a dimension:
- the element security settings will apply to all cubes in which the dimension is used
- the default security level for any new elements that are created for all groups will be NONE

The first point above goes without saying, the second point is a big watch out for novice TM1 admins. It is a good idea to have either a rule or TI solution in place to maintain element security. The exception would be for very small and/or static dimensions (such as version). Otherwise this could be a constant source of manual maintenance and trouble-shooting.
Cheers,
Scott W
Cubewise
www.cubewise.com
jim wood
Site Admin
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by jim wood »

Scott raises a good point. I inherited a model with dimension security. This dimension was updated each week and if I forgot to set the security for new elements nobody could see them. It was a real pain. Once I got to know the model I introduced an optimisation project and used the opportunity to remove the security,

Jim.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
George Regateiro
MVP
Version: 10.1.1
Excel Version: 2007 SP3

Post by George Regateiro »

ScottW wrote:It is a good idea to have either a rule or TI solution in place to maintain element security.

Another point of caution that we have learned the hard way (and are having to redo right now) is depending on how dynamic your model is you will now have to rely on the SecurityRefresh function to reapply the rules if an element is added mid day. This can start to be a serious drag on the system. We just had to gather our main users together to get them to agree on a reasonable level of security since the current model could render the server nearly useless during the day because of the SecurityRefresh.
Steve Vincent
Site Admin
Version: 10.2.2 FP1
Excel Version: 2010

Post by Steve Vincent »

George, that can be avoided by doing it by TI instead of rules. I had exactly the same issue here, the refresh could take 20 mins to complete whereas the same security managed by TI is near instant. Its very dependant upon your models, but its worth investigating.
If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator.
Production: Planning Analytics 64 bit 2.0.5, Windows 2016 Server. Excel 2016, IE11 for t'internet
Chengooi
Version: 9.4
Excel Version: 2003

Post by Chengooi »

Thanks to Alan and Scott 's reply.
I do know what to do but the control cube just not appearing!!
This is just another weird experience I had with TM1, I am giving on it ine a few months time :oops: :?
I am leaving my job as TM1 Administrator.
The most wasted of all days is one without laughter.
e e cummings (1894-1962)
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

Chengooi wrote:Thanks to Alan and Scott 's reply.
I do know what to do but the control cube just not appearing!!
This is just another weird experience I had with TM1, I am giving on it ine a few months time :oops: :?
I am leaving my job as TM1 Administrator.
You DID make some changes to the existing values, then clicked on [Save] rather than [OK], yes?

If you simply open the dialog then exit from it, I believe that it won't do anything.

You also pressed [F5] to refresh the list of cubes afterwards?
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.