Development of a TM1 app for android

asutcliffe
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: 9.4.1 - 10.1
Excel Version: 2003 and 2007

Development of a TM1 app for android

Post by asutcliffe »

Following on from Alan's comment here - http://www.tm1forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7404
Alan Kirk wrote:Inevitable I suppose; no idea whether TM will float down this path eventually[1]

[1] But if it does I sincerely hope that it concentrates on Android tablets. :twisted:
I'm curious, can anyone tell me whether an Android TM1 client could theoretically be developed by a third party using the Java API? A quick google doesn't turn anything up.
asutcliffe
Regular Participant

Re: Development of a TM1 app for android

Post by asutcliffe »

No takers eh ;) ? Perhaps I was a little too vague. I'll attempt to clarify:
asutcliffe wrote:I'm curious, can anyone tell me whether an Android TM1 client could theoretically be developed by a third party using the Java API?
* I'm assuming that given android apps are developed in Java, they could easily use TM1's Java API. Is this right?
* Is it possible to do anything useful via the API? By useful I basically mean pull data from a cube in a reasonably performant fashion.

A search of the forums didn't return too much about the Java API. I did look for the API documentation but it wasn't in the location specified by this technote - http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.w ... wg21440270, at least on my setup.
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Post by tomok »

It was kind of a nonsense type question. Of course you can develop something using the Java API, that's what it's for. I personally wouldn't waste my time as I think the time would be better spent on creating a browser-based app.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
David Usherwood
Site Admin

Post by David Usherwood »

Suggest you look at
http://andreport.com/
No idea what it's like, but IBM are pushing Active Reports pretty hard. I've been working to push TM1 data through to Active Reports, and had some success, but only some. I'd very much like to hear from others who have tried this.
nick_leeson
OLAP Product: TM1 9x, BPC, Hyperion, HANA
Version: TM1 10
Excel Version: Excel 2003 - 2010

Post by nick_leeson »

Unconfirmed news but 10.2 will have iPad capability . Again straight from the horses mouth and but would not bet a dime on it.
There is plenty of documentation on the JAVA API in the TM1JavaApiDocs\com\applix\tm1 in 10.1 , good luck with it.

Would you like to write back to TM1 ? or just view Data ?
asutcliffe
Regular Participant

Post by asutcliffe »

David Usherwood wrote:Suggest you look at
http://andreport.com/
No idea what it's like, but IBM are pushing Active Reports pretty hard. I've been working to push TM1 data through to Active Reports, and had some success, but only some. I'd very much like to hear from others who have tried this.
Looks interesting... I'd not seen that before, thanks David.
nick_leeson wrote:Unconfirmed news but 10.2 will have iPad capability . Again straight from the horses mouth and but would not bet a dime on it.
There is plenty of documentation on the JAVA API in the TM1JavaApiDocs\com\applix\tm1 in 10.1 , good luck with it.
Thanks, am hoping to be let loose on a 10.1 test box sometime this week.
nick_leeson wrote:Would you like to write back to TM1 ? or just view Data ?
Both ideally but hadn't really thought that far ahead. I'm only contemplating it as a way to teach myself a bit of app development. It's nice to know it's not a complete non starter.

Cheers,
Alex
David Usherwood
Site Admin

Post by David Usherwood »

Based on what was said at Vision 2012 I believe that would be an Android MHT viewer for Active Reports. If I'm right you'll need to get into Report Studio (Reporter on CX).
I'm going to echo my earlier plea here - am I the only person who's having isssues creating decent ARs over TM1? Anybody out there?
nick_leeson
OLAP Product: TM1 9x, BPC, Hyperion, HANA
Version: TM1 10
Excel Version: Excel 2003 - 2010

Post by nick_leeson »

David you are on the ball there with AR's on TM1. I have used it for a happy client and visually its spectacular and pretty fast too.
Is (Reporter on CX) the same as Active Reports ? I
Cheers
ykud
MVP

Post by ykud »

David Usherwood wrote: I'm going to echo my earlier plea here - am I the only person who's having isssues creating decent ARs over TM1? Anybody out there?
And what's your issues? It's basically all the same issues with Report Studio over TM1, filtering, Dynamic Query mode, etc. But ARs are generated in background, so performance is not so important.