mce
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: Planning Analytics Local 2.0.x
Excel Version: 2013 2016

How to Disable Taking Ownership in a Central Application

Post by mce »

Hi,

In TM1 10.1, in central application, is it possible to disable users taking ownership?
I want all users using the application concurrently without reserving it.
When a user takes ownership, it becomes read only for others and someone needs to take ownership and then release for everyone to be able to continue entering.
In order avoid this happening, I want to disable users being able to take ownership in the central application, and still allow them enter data without taking ownership.

Thanks for any responses.

Regards,
declanr
MVP
Version: PA2.0 and most of the old ones
Excel Version: All of em

Re: How to Disable Taking Ownership in a Central Application

Post by declanr »

If you are having multiple users work on the data rather than following the rigid one person input, submit, approve routine could it not be more suitable to avoid contributor (Application) and just build some websheets (with action buttons to submit and approve if necessary)?
Declan Rodger
mce
Community Contributor
Version: Planning Analytics Local 2.0.x
Excel Version: 2013 2016

Post by mce »

declanr wrote:If you are having multiple users work on the data rather than following the rigid one person input, submit, approve routine could it not be more suitable to avoid contributor (Application) and just build some websheets (with action buttons to submit and approve if necessary)?

Yes, we could use websheets, but we will make use of Cognos Insight, rather than websheets. It has the capabilities for action buttons and navigation to different pages. We think it will have many superior advantages wrt websheets. In TM1 Applications Web (new Contributor), we can still use websheets anyway, in a central application.
image2x
OLAP Product: TM1, PAX, PAW, SPSS
Version: 2.0.916.10 on RHEL
Excel Version: 2016

Post by image2x »

*bump*

Same question. Anyone found a way?

Thanks.
-- John
nick_leeson
OLAP Product: TM1 9x, BPC, Hyperion, HANA
Version: TM1 10
Excel Version: Excel 2003 - 2010

Post by nick_leeson »

In TM1 10 there are new types of applications i.e. Contributor Applications that you could make use of. I think in your case you could use the Application Type Responsibility.

More Info here http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocente ... /index.jsp

By using this users will be able to write concurrently without data being reserved or users taking ownership.

I don't think the combination of TM1 Applications Web (new Contributor) and Websheets will resolve this problem as the moment a user takes ownership of the node , data will reserved and this will cascade into Websheets.This "feature" does not work the same way in Cognos Insight i.e. users will be able to write to data to the intersections that have been reserved.

Its nice little "feature" but could potentially be a bug because it goes against the principles of Data Reservation so that could come back to bite you in subsequent releases.
"Data Reservation (DR) is a server-related feature in TM1 that allows you to configure exclusive write-access to regions of a cube for individual users. Once reserved, the data in that region can only be modified by that specific user until the reservation is released". This is from TM1 10 Documentation .

Cheers