TM1 using new IBM Mobile ipad app?

Miltonb
OLAP Product: TM1 10.2 / Cog Exp 9.5
Version: 10.2
Excel Version: 2013

TM1 using new IBM Mobile ipad app?

Post by Miltonb »

Hi,

Has anyone looked at the new IBM mobile app at the app store?
Done some research and appears that its designed from the Cognos BI suite and not TM1.

Has anyone tried to use the TM1Web environment off a mobile device?

Thx
Steve Vincent
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2.2 FP1
Excel Version: 2010

Re: TM1 using new IBM Mobile ipad app?

Post by Steve Vincent »

iPad? Honestly? I wish they'd get the software to work correctly in environments used by 99.99999% of their customers rather than faff around with management bling. Its just another sales gimmick :shock:
If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator.
Production: Planning Analytics 64 bit 2.0.5, Windows 2016 Server. Excel 2016, IE11 for t'internet
David Usherwood
Site Admin

Post by David Usherwood »

Steve, you're living up to your avatar :)
We showed Cognos Mobile/Active Reports at our last user update day and it went down very well. Believe it or not, there is business value (and career value :) ) in delivering good looking, usable information to CEOs and the like to carry round with them.
On the plumbing aspect, this is simply another output type for Cognos BI - and thus can incorporate TM1 content. An MHTML file is generated which holds both content and presentation, so we probably won't be loading any actuarial models in. It is therefore disconnected from the data source after it is generated.
Steve Vincent
Site Admin
Version: 10.2.2 FP1
Excel Version: 2010

Post by Steve Vincent »

i didn't pick it by accident ;)

I can't get people here to use the basic stuff, let alone fancy pants ipads. No one is interested in creating their own reports, they just want it done for them. Usually on paper too. I will stand by my management bling comment tho - i want the basic, important stuff fixed rather than nice to have bells 'n' whistles such as this. It might look nice, but if the substance is rubbish or broken, what use is it to anyone?
If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator.
Production: Planning Analytics 64 bit 2.0.5, Windows 2016 Server. Excel 2016, IE11 for t'internet
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Post by tomok »

Steve Vincent wrote:iPad? Honestly? I wish they'd get the software to work correctly in environments used by 99.99999% of their customers rather than faff around with management bling. Its just another sales gimmick :shock:
I agree with you somewhat, in that I could never see myself using a mobile Cognos app, but I've been on quite a few sales calls/demos over the last year where people asked about the mobile capabilities of TM1 and all I could do was tap dance around it. If you want to call yourself a player in this space it is a must. Customers are demanding it. Whether they will actually use it, who knows. How can you say you have dashboarding covered if you can't present a dashboard on a mobile device.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
David Usherwood
Site Admin

Post by David Usherwood »

all I could do was tap dance around it
That I'd love to have seen.
(Tom, will you be at Vision Orlando? You don't have far to travel, it appears...)
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Post by tomok »

David Usherwood wrote:
all I could do was tap dance around it
That I'd love to have seen.
(Tom, will you be at Vision Orlando? You don't have far to travel, it appears...)
Wish that I were but my current employer doesn't see the value in it for me. Instead, they'll be sending one or more partners, who actually know nothing about TM1 except that it's something we have expertise in, which they are in charge of selling.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
mattgoff
MVP
Version: 10.2.2.6
Excel Version: O365

Post by mattgoff »

Steve Vincent wrote:iPad? Honestly? I wish they'd get the software to work correctly in environments used by 99.99999% of their customers rather than faff around with management bling. Its just another sales gimmick :shock:
I could not agree more. Fix TM1 Web, or write a PHP extension and let me scrap it all together. Then designers can just build templates customized for the big or small screen. No one is going to be doing extensive work via a mobile interface anyway-- it's a consumption channel only.

Matt
Please read and follow the Request for Assistance Guidelines. It helps us answer your question and saves everyone a lot of time.
Miltonb
OLAP Product: TM1 10.2 / Cog Exp 9.5
Version: 10.2
Excel Version: 2013

Post by Miltonb »

I was considering deploying reports to TM1WEB then accessing these off my iPad....anyone tried this?

This would make sense as I would have 100% control over dashboards etc.

Agree that apps are just a temporary solution and webpages are the way to go!