Dimension Save

Chengooi
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 9.4
Excel Version: 2003

Dimension Save

Post by Chengooi »

Today I experienced another weird experience:
We had 2 server, one called production server and another called QA server.
The QA server is meant for testing before moving the changes made to production server. I made changes to one of the dimension .xdi file and followed by save dimension and selected Yes to all to the dim file.
Found out later the Save yes to all actuall saved the dim file of the production server as well!! while jolly well all dbsa formulas were pointing to QA server.
Then I restored the production 's dim file quickly so it did not affect the production server output values. Then I went backed to QA server and save to yes and not yes to all, this time, the saved did not go pass the "border" to production server.

I wonder where was the link, though I knew in the Help menu did say DataSaveAll = save to all servers, I supposed that can be thru if there are "bridges" set up in the config file, while my config file only define one admin host. So how could save dimension "yes to all" will save "across" to both servers QA server and production server ??

Has anyone had experienced this before, how weird!! :?
The most wasted of all days is one without laughter.
e e cummings (1894-1962)
Steve Vincent
Site Admin
Version: 10.2.2 FP1
Excel Version: 2010

Re: Dimension Save

Post by Steve Vincent »

if the config file only points to one admin host, do both the prod and QA services run from the same machine? If you are logged in to both services and click "yes to all" when saving the xdi, my impression was it would save the xdi to all instances you were logged in to at the time. might be wrong, but what else could "yes to all" mean? its not like you are saving multiple xdi's at the same time...
If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator.
Production: Planning Analytics 64 bit 2.0.5, Windows 2016 Server. Excel 2016, IE11 for t'internet
Chengooi

Post by Chengooi »

I was saving just one xdi file and only one that I worked on.
I think there is bug in the program.
I do understand Yes to all means saving all changes to .xdi files , but that was only one .xdi file and one server pointer.

but what also happened was I was switching between one admin host to another but very sure and well and clear I was well awared which admin host I want to save into.

In fact I re-invent the scenario and true enough it happened again !! I even have witness with me at that time!
I think this is just another weird thing about OLAP or TM1 to be specific? :roll:
e e cummings (1894-1962)
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

Chengooi wrote: I do understand Yes to all means saving all changes to .xdi files
No, it doesn't.

It means "save the changes that have been made in this .xdi sheet to all of the servers that I have nominated."

Confusingly, that option is still visible even if you designate that you want the change made on only one server, however that's more a case of sloppy GUI design than a bug.

You don't indicate in your sig file or your profile which version you're on. However I can tell you what will happen in both 8.2.12 and 9.4.

- Create an .xdi while you're logged in to two servers, let's call them server A and server B.
- Save the .xdi on both of those servers.
- Make a change to the .xdi by adding an element.
- Do TM1 -> Dimension Worksheets -> Save.
- You'll see a dialog with a list of all TM1 servers that your client session knows about. Select both of the servers.
- The dialog will tell you that the dimension already exists on the Server A.
- If you click [Yes], it will update the dimension on Server A and ask you the same thing about Server B.
- If, instead, you select [Yes to All], it will update the dimension on both Server A and Server B, and will not ask you to confirm that you want it done on server B.

Now, make a change to the .xdi by adding a new element again.
- Do TM1 -> Dimension Worksheets -> Save.
- This time, select only ONE of the servers.
- The dialog will ask you whether you want to overwrite the dimension on the one server that you've selected.
- It doesn't matter whether you select [Yes] or [Yes to All], there's only one server selected and therefore only one server's dimension can or will be updated.
I think there is bug in the program.
To work around the "bug", then, the solution is:
(a) Make sure that you only select the server that you want the dimension updated on when you save it, or better still,
(b) Disconnect from the other server before you do the save so that there's no possibility of the wrong dimension being updated.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
Chengooi

Post by Chengooi »

Thanks Alan,
I like to get to the bottom of it too.
My version is 9.0 SP2 U3, issued since late 2006!
e e cummings (1894-1962)