harrytm1
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: IBM Planning Analytics
Version: Latest version
Excel Version: 2003 to 2019

Cannot access XXX.xru message after saving rules

Post by harrytm1 »

Hi all,

I have a TM1 model that was previously built by another developer. He did not use Rules Worksheet.

I have taken over this model and am now using Rules Worksheet to update the rules. Whenever I save the rules, a message appears after saving that says "Cannot access XXX.xru" where XXX is the cube.

Any idea how to get rid of this? Initially, I thought it was caused by an old BLB file. But there is no such file.

Thanks!

Harry
Planning Analytics latest version, including Cloud
rmackenzie
MVP

Re: Cannot access XXX.xru message after saving rules

Post by rmackenzie »

Saving the XRU (using Rule Worksheet->Save, or the icon) will attempt to write to the relevant .xru file in the directory specified in the Data Directory option for the 'Local Server' per your TM1 options settings. This is a bit misleading/ confusing, because even though you may well be using a remote server, it will still take this path.

If you don't have write permissions on that folder then you may run into this issue although previously I have seen a simple 'Access denied' error. It is not uncommon for folders on the server to be subject to different read/ write permissions. You may have to speak to the administrator of that server in order for you to personally get a write permission, or you can set-up a totally separate share where all the XRU and XDI files are stored that a group of people can access.

Is that the issue?
Robin Mackenzie
harrytm1
Regular Participant

Post by harrytm1 »

Thanks for the reply, rmackenzie.

I don't think this is the issue as I'm currently developing using my local PC. I also faced the same problem when I'm logging in the server remotely and have write access to the folder where XRU and XDI files are stored.

Harry.
rmackenzie
MVP

Post by rmackenzie »

Hmm, and is there an existing XRU to save over? Perhaps you need to create a brand new XRU and copy all the rules over into that?
Robin Mackenzie
Gregor Koch
MVP
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1, CX
Version: 9.0 and up
Excel Version: 2007 and up

Post by Gregor Koch »

Hi
I get this in 9.5.2 and it does not seem to be the access to the folder. The rule still will be compiled and the xru file will be saved, at least for me.
Just an annoying message that I click away and didn't bother to raise with IBM.
Which version of TM1 do you get the message with?
harrytm1
Regular Participant

Post by harrytm1 »

Using 9.5.2. Yes, it's just the irritating thing. Everything works fine.

I copied the original rules from Rules Editor and pasted into an Excel file, then changed the extension to XRU.
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by lotsaram »

Gregor Koch wrote:Hi
I get this in 9.5.2 and it does not seem to be the access to the folder. The rule still will be compiled and the xru file will be saved, at least for me.
Just an annoying message that I click away and didn't bother to raise with IBM.
Which version of TM1 do you get the message with?
With 9.5.2 and XL 2010 combination I also get this saving an excel rule file every time. It's annoying but the XRU still gets saved just fine so I just don't worry about it.
harrytm1
Regular Participant

Post by harrytm1 »

Thanks for all your replies.

I'm using Excel 2010 on my local. However, in the server, I'm using Excel 2007. Both gave this error. Guess I'll just have to ignore it then.

harry
nick_leeson
OLAP Product: TM1 9x, BPC, Hyperion, HANA
Version: TM1 10
Excel Version: Excel 2003 - 2010

Post by nick_leeson »

The error exists in 10.1 on Excel 2007 as well.
Solanna
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 9.5.2 to 10.2
Excel Version: 2007 - 2013

Post by Solanna »

Harry,

This message has been around since at least 9.4 with Excel 2007
Even though I ignore it, if it wasn't there I would think there was something wrong ;)

Just another one of those bugs that IBM Cognos will probably never address since it relates to Perspectives which they don't seem to put much priority into (actually no priority)
Being old school I prefer the XRU since I don't need a Rules Editor to write rules and I also prefer using spreadsheet functionality
It also gives me the ability to save older versions in a different tab similar to the XDI which I still use extensively as well
Certainly there are pros and cons to both methodologies but if you are an experienced Administrator/Developer the XRU may have some advantages

Bottom line as many of us know or perceive, IBM Cognos does not appreciate the spreadsheet so from my perspective I don't care about the annoying message since the functionality still works... at least for now!

Solanna