Steve Rowe
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: TM1 v6,v7,v8,v9,v10,v11+PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

ObjectDuplicate client lock

Post by Steve Rowe »

Afternoon all,

This is probably a double post but I don't seem to be able to search for ObjectDuplicate as it's too common a term, if true it's intresting that so many people have this issue. Anyway let me get to the point.

A small subset of my users seem to consistently suffer from the ObjectDuplicate client lock issue. I've not been able to establish any commonality between these users or a difference from the users from users that don't suffer from it. There seems to be no pattern to it but I'm convinced it must be some kind of environmental issue related to machine that the users is using.

Has anyone had luck in tracking down what the root cause of the problem is?

I know I can some extent manage the problem with TM1Top and all that but I want to treat the cause and not the symptoms.

Any clues from people who are also suffering from this would be appreciated.

Edit thanks for the reminder..

Its version 845 U2 (845.2376)
TIA
Steve
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
Renaud MARTIAL

Re: ObjectDuplicate client lock

Post by Renaud MARTIAL »

Hi Steve,

can you tell us the TM1 version involved ?

Regards,

Renaud.
David Usherwood
Site Admin

Post by David Usherwood »

Steve, I'm away in the Middle East (Colin says hi). We were getting this at a UK client using Citrix. Cognos recommended some changes to the CFG and I applied them but I don't recall what they were and don't know how much they helped. When I'm back I'll find out. Let's meet for a much needed beer and bacon sandwich.
Michel Zijlema
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1, PALO
Version: both 2.5 and higher
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010

Post by Michel Zijlema »

Steve Rowe wrote:Afternoon all,

This is probably a double post but I don't seem to be able to search for ObjectDuplicate as it's too common a term, if true it's intresting that so many people have this issue. Anyway let me get to the point.

A small subset of my users seem to consistently suffer from the ObjectDuplicate client lock issue. I've not been able to establish any commonality between these users or a difference from the users from users that don't suffer from it. There seems to be no pattern to it but I'm convinced it must be some kind of environmental issue related to machine that the users is using.

Has anyone had luck in tracking down what the root cause of the problem is?

I know I can some extent manage the problem with TM1Top and all that but I want to treat the cause and not the symptoms.

Any clues from people who are also suffering from this would be appreciated.

Edit thanks for the reminder..

Its version 845 U2 (845.2376)
TIA
Steve
Hi Steve,

If I recall correctly this issue was 'solved' (it is in fact a workaround) by setting the ReceiveProgressResponseTimeoutSecs parameter in the tm1s.cfg file - see link Users locked out to the old forum.

Michel
Steve Rowe
Site Admin

Post by Steve Rowe »

Thanks Michel,
I'm aware of this but in my view this doesn't even qualify as a workaround, although it may free all the other users up the one suffering the problem is left sitting there wondering why his client is unresponsive. Although the server may have kicked the user off after 20 seconds there is no reaction to this at the client side.

This means that the user will be sat there until he gets annoyed enought to ring support to find out why TM1 has stopped working. The only option I have is get the end user to run up TM1 top and check if they are still connected and then kill their client.

I think this issue only started occuring in late 845s and in my view must be a bug with the TM1 software or a poor design choice somewhere. Although IBM say its down to dodgy networks I don't think TM1 suffered from this in earlier versions so it can't just be a notwork issue. I'd be interested to know if people on the 9 series still suffer from this issue. It's pretty poor if client server software cannot maintain it's connectivity and if the connectivity is lost handle it a much better way than TM1 does.

What should happen when the client get's disconnected is that the client reports this to the user and offers the chance to re-log (or just re-log in the background), at the moment the user is left with no option but to kill their excel session and lose work.

Cheers,
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
BigDSter
Version: 9.4.1
Excel Version: 2007

Post by BigDSter »

Well I can't say it was definitely this problem in 8.3.2 but we've had freezing problems since then. It was only when TM1top came along we were able to specificially identify this as an objectduplicate client lock. Still a reasonably big problem now, I'd say we have about 3-4 of these a week across 200 users, who get timed out after 30s, leaving them wondering what is going on.

Seemed to effect certain people a lot more than others, and one lady would phone me regularly to ask if she was still logged in, and then proceeded to get annoyed when I said she wasn't.

Still the server hasn't crashed for 2 months now (fingers and everything else crossed) and although a few people get annoyed, the quality of service for the majority is miles better.

On 8.4.5 still.
David Newton
Burtons Foods
Steve Vincent
Site Admin
Version: 10.2.2 FP1
Excel Version: 2010

Post by Steve Vincent »

Had similar issues with clients kicked out for no reason, but not locked. I do have odd issues with the logs thinking someone is stil logged in when i know they are not. Not sure if that's related, but likewise i can't find any pattern to it, appears pretty much random.
If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator.
Production: Planning Analytics 64 bit 2.0.5, Windows 2016 Server. Excel 2016, IE11 for t'internet
Steve Rowe
Site Admin

Post by Steve Rowe »

Month end again and my problem users are suffering badly from this and being kicked off several times a day. It's starting a bit of cascade effect around the business as everyone if getting locked out for 20 seconds with such frequency that they think their session are broken too and "crashing" out of Excel.

Had no luck with IBM other than being told to upgrade...

So I'm going to have to escalate my upgrade plan.

Can anyone offer any experience of 9.0 or 9.4 current releases in relation to the ObjectDuplicate issue? At this stage I'm inclined to move to 9.0 latest but can anyone tell me if they still suffer from the client locks under this release? I doubt there's enough experience of 9.4 to give an opinion.

Steve, your issues, have you monitored it with tm1top and seen the Object Duplicate issue?

Regards,
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
bihints.com
Version: 9.0.3
Excel Version: 2003

Post by bihints.com »

Steve,

I currently manage a TM1 9.0.3 (build 173) version and it is still affected by that "ObjectDuplicate" bug.
As described in previous posts, the server times out the client thanks to the config parameter mentioned above. The clients are unable to recover and remain in a locked up state, then they must be terminated with prejudice and restarted.
IMHO it feels really wrong, it's like being told that my web browser must be killed and restarted every time a website times out while loading.
The TM1 add-in should be able to survive a server timeout. Well, every other client/server application I use is able to do that at least.
Steve Rowe
Site Admin

Post by Steve Rowe »

Thanks for the update bihints,

Have you tried to get any background on the issue from IBM? I think 9.0 is still on active support so they might be more inclined to help.

You'll get no arguement from me that the time out approach suggested by IBM is a total bodge job and doesn't qualify as a solution, it's like someone who has lost the keys to his front door calling the demolition squad to blow his house up.

Looks like I'm going to have go down the 9.4 road to resolve this issue, I hope it is not a dead end!

I'd love to hear from any 9.4 users who had this issue and do not following the upgrade.

Cheers,
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
Steve Vincent
Site Admin
Version: 10.2.2 FP1
Excel Version: 2010

Post by Steve Vincent »

my users don't write to our cubes very often so it's rare i see the locking. i've never felt the inclination to log it because i know i'd get nowhere with it, but when a user does ring me tm1top never has any status for them, they look like a normal, happily contented user logged in :?
If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator.
Production: Planning Analytics 64 bit 2.0.5, Windows 2016 Server. Excel 2016, IE11 for t'internet
bihints.com
Version: 9.0.3
Excel Version: 2003

Post by bihints.com »

Steve Rowe wrote:Thanks for the update bihints,
Have you tried to get any background on the issue from IBM? I think 9.0 is still on active support so they might be more inclined to help.
yes I opened a request after noticing this thread, though it looks like a dead end. They claim it is a Citrix issue but I manage to reproduce it on the LAN without any client on Citrix.
Steve Rowe wrote: I'd love to hear from any 9.4 users who had this issue and do not following the upgrade.
I will give it a try if I get some time. Though I have a feeling that the 9.4 issues will overcome any relief of not having this "ObjectDuplicate" bug anymore, provided 9.4 actually solves it.
Steve Rowe
Site Admin

Post by Steve Rowe »

Yeah they often claim it is a Citrex issue but there is no Citrex in my environment.

My issue number is 11-108661026 if you want to reference somewhere it is occuring that does not involve Citrex.

Cheers,
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
mattgoff
MVP
Version: 10.2.2.6
Excel Version: O365

Post by mattgoff »

I'm relatively happy with 9.1 SP4 HF5. Server version is regular 9.1.4 but it's critical that you install HF5 on the client machines or cubeviewer performance will be horrible.
Please read and follow the Request for Assistance Guidelines. It helps us answer your question and saves everyone a lot of time.
Steve Rowe
Site Admin

Post by Steve Rowe »

Thanks Matt did you suffer from this ObjectDuplicate error before you upgraded?
Cheers
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk