Writing your own Rules functions - is it possible?

nhavis

Writing your own Rules functions - is it possible?

Post by nhavis »

As the subject asks - is it possible to write your own rule functions?

For example there exists the ABS, ROUND, MAX, MIN functions... can I write my own functions that can be utilised in Rules?

If the Rules editor doesn't allow this, is it possible to run for example a TI process or even an executable that can do the work instead?
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Re: Writing your own Rules functions - is it possible?

Post by Alan Kirk »

nhavis wrote:As the subject asks - is it possible to write your own rule functions?

For example there exists the ABS, ROUND, MAX, MIN functions... can I write my own functions that can be utilised in Rules?
At present it's not. I believe that this has been discussed as a possible upgrade before, but I don't know how much, if any, effort has been put into it in the Big Blue world.

The only way that you could simulate it, or the only one that occurs to me, is to create some rules which return your "functions" through some kind of "calculation cube"; a cube which returns certain values for a specified combination of inputs. The values from that cube could be read back into your main rules functions. However that would be cumbersome, and potentially performance-killing.
nhavis wrote:If the Rules editor doesn't allow this, is it possible to run for example a TI process or even an executable that can do the work instead?
No, Rules are calculated "on demand". For that to work there would need to be some way of triggering the TI / executable to run when the cell is read, and there isn't. And I suspect that that wouldn't so much kill performance as slaughter it.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.