How to Trace Security Access Issues

jydell
OLAP Product: tm1
Version: TM1 Build Number: 11.8.01300.
Excel Version: Version 2401

How to Trace Security Access Issues

Post by jydell »

Hi

I have a user that I need to change her access in order to edit data in a cube. I have tried the below but still the user does not have access to write to the cube (ie greyed out cell in the view). Does anyone know of a way to track which specific part of the security profile is blocking write access (ie cube security, dimension security, cell level etc), or a more effective method than mine shown below.

Steps I have done / checked so far
1: User is assigned with a new security profile (in addition to her old profiles)
2: User has security write access to the cubes she is attempting to write to
3: User has write access to the dimension N elements she is attempting to write to
4: As admin I am able to write data to the cube at the same level she is attempting. (so I assume no rules are in effect, and must be choosing correct N elements)
5: Cell level security is not turned on in any of the cubes.
6: User logs out and back in after I applied the above changes to her profile (I have not attempted re-starting the server)
7: When i "edit status" on the cell using her login I get the message "Cell is not editable. No write access to element '*'."
8" When I "edit status" under the admin profile I get "Cell is editable"

After completing the above steps I am now stuck as to why I cannot solve why security is still blocking access. Due to the manual nature of the above steps I have not ruled out my own error in checking.

Any assistance will be appreciated.
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Re: How to Trace Security Access Issues

Post by Alan Kirk »

jydell wrote: I have a user that I need to change her access in order to edit data in a cube. I have tried the below but still the user does not have access to write to the cube (ie greyed out cell in the view). Does anyone know of a way to track which specific part of the security profile is blocking write access (ie cube security, dimension security, cell level etc), or a more effective method than mine shown below.

Steps I have done / checked so far
1: User is assigned with a new security profile (in addition to her old profiles)
2: User has security write access to the cubes she is attempting to write to
3: User has write access to the dimension N elements she is attempting to write to
4: As admin I am able to write data to the cube at the same level she is attempting. (so I assume no rules are in effect, and must be choosing correct N elements)
5: Cell level security is not turned on in any of the cubes.
6: User logs out and back in after I applied the above changes to her profile (I have not attempted re-starting the server)
7: When i "edit status" on the cell using her login I get the message "Cell is not editable. No write access to element '*'."
8" When I "edit status" under the admin profile I get "Cell is editable"

After completing the above steps I am now stuck as to why I cannot solve why security is still blocking access. Due to the manual nature of the above steps I have not ruled out my own error in checking.
Yes, 7/ is bloody annoying and is long overdue for a fix, though I'm not holding my breath on that one. There's no reason why it shouldn't give you the specific element(s).

It sounds like you've approached this in a thorough fashion, and I noted what you said in point 3, but the message in 7 usually does indicate element level security.

I'd suggest turning on Display Conteol Objects in cube viewer, then going through each dimension in the cube looking for a corresponding }ElementSecurity_DimName cube. What I'm suspecting is that dimension security has been turned on in a dimension that you're not aware of, possibly by design, but all to easily by accident.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
jydell
OLAP Product: tm1
Version: TM1 Build Number: 11.8.01300.
Excel Version: Version 2401

Re: How to Trace Security Access Issues

Post by jydell »

Thanks Alan

You were right, when double checking the dimension secutity (via displaying control objects) I found read access only granted to the specific N elements in the dimension for her profiles. Now its fixed.

Regards