Using 9.1

rossi

Using 9.1

Post by rossi »

How many people are using 9.1 SP3? Or are most people still using a lower version?
thanks
Paolo
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Re: Using 9.1

Post by Alan Kirk »

rossi wrote:How many people are using 9.1 SP3? Or are most people still using a lower version?
thanks
Paolo
I'm using it to run Web on a separate box (because the 8.2.12 version of Web isn't viable), but we're still on 8.2.12 for production. I can't move to 9.1 much as I want to until they sort out (in an OFFICIAL release) the two (for us) shostopper problems:
- If you run 2 chores at the same time, it crashes;
- If a non-admin selects an element from a dynamic subset, their Excel crashes.

We value stability over features.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
jim wood
Site Admin
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by jim wood »

We are using it but we are having major issues (See other posts). We are now looking to get Cog... (what ever you call em these days) in to have a look at things. It has made the last 5 or 6 weeks interesting if nothing else,

Jim.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
mattgoff
MVP
Version: 10.2.2.6
Excel Version: O365

Post by mattgoff »

rossi wrote:How many people are using 9.1 SP3? Or are most people still using a lower version?
We've been using 9.1 SP2 U3 for a few months now without any major issues. There is one bugfix they did for me in 9.1 SP3, but due to other reported issues with that release I haven't migrated yet.
Alan Kirk wrote:If a non-admin selects an element from a dynamic subset, their Excel crashes.
It's a long shot, but have you tried running Microsoft update (via office.microsoft.com then "Check for free updates" link in the upper-right)? A lot of stability problems we had with clients disappered after we installed all of the Excel patches there, particularly SP1. We're on Office 2003.

Matt
Please read and follow the Request for Assistance Guidelines. It helps us answer your question and saves everyone a lot of time.
TJMurphy
Version: PA 2.0.6 Local
Excel Version: Excel 2016

Post by TJMurphy »

We've just gone to 9.1 SP3 and it seems ok so far. We're quite a small team so we don't think we'll have multiple chores running at the same time but we're putting in the "trick" to lock the cubes that I got from here so hopefully that will sort that out.

Browsing a cube-view seems slower to produce figures initially as well but not sure if that's a network issue or something to tweak later on.

Tony
Eric
MVP
Version: 9.4
Excel Version: 2003

Post by Eric »

I am running 9.0 SP2. I am hoping to make the jump to 9.4 when it is released before the end of the year. The reason I have not upgraded is only due to lack of time.
Regards,
Eric
Blog: http://tm1-tipz.blogspot.com
Articles: http://www.google.com/reader/shared/use ... /label/TM1

Production: 32 bit 9.0 SP2, Windows 2000 Advanced Server. Web: 32 bit 9.0 SP2, Windows 2000 Server. Excel 2003
Steve Vincent
Site Admin
Version: 10.2.2 FP1
Excel Version: 2010

Post by Steve Vincent »

same as Eric, although i have no intention of going to 9.4.
If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator.
Production: Planning Analytics 64 bit 2.0.5, Windows 2016 Server. Excel 2016, IE11 for t'internet
MAP

Post by MAP »

Have been using it for a few clients since Jan. Have not moved to U1, as awaiting U2 (which should be any day now and may address some of my issues). Here is my (somewhat longish) list of "issues" (these are only the ones that have been confirmed as issues by Cognos/IBM -- there are others, but they have yet to confirm them):
-- Uncommitted values are ignored during Spread operation -web only. Supposed to be addressed in 9.4
-- Font size sporadically changes when jumping to/from certain web sheets -web only; same sporadically happens on printed and Exported Sheets
-- Zoom In/Out; left pane not fully displayed - web only
-- Error 91 for each Action button on PROTECTED Excel sheet - Perspectives only (web fine); also occurs on sheets exported from Web.
-- TM1User function not recognized on Export of Websheet - Export errors (supposedly fixed in U1)
-- TM1TOP - LDAP security not recognized (must used "saved" password rather than LDAP password; same applies for Integrated Login)
-- Web recognizes security differently than Perspectives:
- in some cases, items that should be displayed are not (but are in Perspectives)
- in some cases (Custom consolidations) users have access to consolidations that they shouldnt (fine in Perspectives)
- subsets created while in a web session are not visible to a web user (must log out/in to see them); okay in Perspectives
-- Mutli-select disabled when Perspectives is loaded (this is apparently an old one but no fix date planned)
The following have not yet been "confirmed" completely:
-- On long-running chores or rule saves, web clients get disconnected, regardless of web time out parameter (perspectives users okay)
-- In certain cases (have yet to come up with something reproduceable every time; but yesterday was able to reproduce this on dev and prod servers by running a TI that moved elements from one consolidation to another) - aliases of elements are not recognized (get KEY_ERRs) -- affects all users; must restart server to clear. Seems to be only aliases that have special characters "(", ")", or "-", aliases in same dim without these are recognized.
-- On two occasions, still not reproduceable, have had dimensions not recognize rollups within a dim, causing rules that have ELISANC funcions to not calculate properly (ELISANC erroneously returns 0 instead of 1), and TI processes that have them as well error, and the "roll up" button not available in subset editor where there are most definitely "parents" to elements. Have to restart server to clear.
Steve Vincent
Site Admin
Version: 10.2.2 FP1
Excel Version: 2010

Post by Steve Vincent »

In certain cases (have yet to come up with something reproduceable every time; but yesterday was able to reproduce this on dev and prod servers by running a TI that moved elements from one consolidation to another) - aliases of elements are not recognized (get KEY_ERRs) -- affects all users; must restart server to clear. Seems to be only aliases that have special characters "(", ")", or "-", aliases in same dim without these are recognized.
Yep, got that in 9.0 too. Add a new alias, fill it with values, watch with disappointment as Excel displays *KEY_ERR for every flaming one of them. Restart of server was the only thing that fixed it.

I think that list quite graphically illustrates why so many of us refuse to upgrade until a version is almost out of support as its so old :lol:
If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator.
Production: Planning Analytics 64 bit 2.0.5, Windows 2016 Server. Excel 2016, IE11 for t'internet
MAP

Post by MAP »

scary thing here is that this an existing alias - all that changed in this case is the location in the hierarchy of the elements.
Ugh! I have had it happen with a new alias too, but have had it happen many times now with existing ones.
BigDSter
Version: 9.4.1
Excel Version: 2007

Post by BigDSter »

8.4.5 still, though we did try the beta of 9.1 and infact installed it on one of our servers. Had to go back bloody quickly though. The alias key-err problem and everyone locking everyone else from doing anything at all made us a very unpopular department for a short time.

No plans to go any further for the time being, just don't have the time to test it properly at a respectable user level
David Newton
Burtons Foods
ScottW
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: TM1 CX
Version: 9.5 9.4.1 9.1.4 9.0 8.4
Excel Version: 2003 2007

Post by ScottW »

This bug has been with us for a while, its not new to 9.1. Cognos definitely knows about it, the problem is in its "reproducibility" as it seems to occur randomly.

Fix for DBRW not recognizing Alias = force a dimension recompile. (no need to restart server)

How to:
Step 1/ Insert dummy element into dimension & save dimension
Step 2/ Delete dummy element from dimension & save dimension

Can be done with generic TI routine passing dimension name in as parameter
Eg.
DimensionElementInsert( pDim, '', 'DummyRecompileElement_' | pDim, 'N' );

(can't have the insert and delete on the same tab as TI smart enough to recognize no change and the dim won't recompile)

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Scott W
Cubewise
www.cubewise.com
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Post by Alan Kirk »

Unfortunately I haven't been following this thread (or indeed the Forum) as closely as I'd normally be (budget time, 12 hour days, working weekends, etc; I'm sure you all know the drill), but I did gain an interesting piece of information today; apparently there will be a 9.1 SP3 U3 before the oddly-named 9.4 arrives. (Oddly named = "Whatever DID happen to 9.2 and 9.3?")

How many of the bugs reported here will be patched isn't known, nor is there a definite release date yet.

The only thing that's apparently fixed for certain is the bug with custom formatting of millions or thousands with n decimal places in TM1 Web. It'll be interesting to see what else is patched, but at a minimum I'd expect the "2 chores crash the server" one to be considering that it can be replicated at will.
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
Michel Zijlema
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1, PALO
Version: both 2.5 and higher
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010

Post by Michel Zijlema »

Alan Kirk wrote:(Oddly named = "Whatever DID happen to 9.2 and 9.3?")
Just guessing: I think this is because your one-but-most-favorite web frontend EV is currently already on version 9.3.
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Post by Alan Kirk »

Michel Zijlema wrote:
Alan Kirk wrote:(Oddly named = "Whatever DID happen to 9.2 and 9.3?")
Just guessing: I think this is because your one-but-most-favorite web frontend EV is currently already on version 9.3.
Hmm, hadn't thought of that but you may be right. However I thought that following the Blue-Cognos takeover that particular front end was re-branded "Executive Who?-er" :D

(When we implemented Web we were evaluating both Web and EV. We opted for the former simply because the latter was even more painful to work with. However I was told to retain the name "Executive Viewer" because it sounded more "senior-executive friendly". And so it was that the homepage of our implementation of TM1 Web bore the title "TM1 Web / Executive Viewer". In my one and only venture into the world of marketing, I quietly "rebranded" it after I put together some friendly Adobe Captivate videos showing how Web is used and reducing the extent to which the horses would be scared by it.)
-----------
jim wood
Site Admin
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by jim wood »

We have narrowed our problems down to browsing larger cubes within 9.1 SP3 (Not sure which update). The 2 cubes in question are 8GB and 10GB in size. Whenever a user gets certain data from them they crash. (Not a rule or feeder by the way.)

It's very strange.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
John Hobson
Site Admin
OLAP Product: Any
Version: 1.0
Excel Version: 2020

Post by John Hobson »

We are seeing the attribute issue at a client using 9.1. sp2 u3

Useful to have those solutions to hand - thanks guys
John Hobson