Planning Manager and Read only Workbooks

xavier

Planning Manager and Read only Workbooks

Post by xavier »

Hi

I have a small question about planning manager and it would be very helpful if someone could give me a few tips about that matter. When you set up a workflow and you link the tasks to Excel worbooks, when selecting one of them, the workbook in question opens up properly but as read only. Is it possible to open a file using PM without having this restriction?

Xavier
David Usherwood
Site Admin

Re: Planning Manager and Read only Workbooks

Post by David Usherwood »

I'll be interested to see if any forumers actually use Planning Manager in anger. However, what you are seeing is probably a result of how TM1 handles spreadsheets stored in application folders. When you create/update a spreadsheet into an application folder, it puts a timestamp on the name (NB the spreadsheets themselves are stored in the }Externals folder on the server) and when you open the spreadsheet, it is given a different name on the lines of 'TM1C.XLS' or whatever. I _think_ this is to allow you to open it more than once.

If you are using a spreadsheet with DBRWs to update data on a TM1 server, you do _not_ need to save the spreadsheet - the data goes back to the server when you press enter on the input cell, or (if you using spreading) when the spreading command completes. This is probably why it's set up that way. If you want to collect spreadsheets into a central server for subsequent consolidation, you could consider using MS' Sharepoint. But if your users are using TM1, they should see the spreadsheets as an input form only.

HTH