Rules for cells based on rule based cells

nhavis

Rules for cells based on rule based cells

Post by nhavis »

I want a rule for a cell A which depends on cell B, however cell B depends on cell C (Cell C has been entered manually and is not rule driven).

Is this possible?
How can I achieve this?

An example below:

In the first cube, the highlighted cells are calculated based on the top left cell (are set to be the same value of '1').

I now want other 'businessunit' dimension elements eg. BT to be calculated based on these highlighted cells.

I've tried it but it doesn't seem to work, it seems as if the cube doesnt know about its own calculated cells until after everything is done.

I was hoping there would be some kind of 'touch' function that would evaluate everything so that further rules could make use of already calculated cells.
Attachments
cubes.JPG
cubes.JPG (150.87 KiB) Viewed 5227 times
nhavis

Re: Rules for cells based on rule based cells

Post by nhavis »

The data being entered are strings...
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

[quote="nhavis"]I want a rule for a cell A which depends on cell B, however cell B depends on cell C (Cell C has been entered manually and is not rule driven).

Is this possible?
How can I achieve this?

Yes, it's certainly possible. Multi-level rules are common. All you need to do is:
- Define the area that includes cell B based on cell C;
- Define the area that includes cell A based on cell B.

Usually if you don't get the right result it's either a problem with your rule syntax, or your feeders.

It may be an idea to post the actual rules that you're using, including the feeders.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
ScottW
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: TM1 CX
Version: 9.5 9.4.1 9.1.4 9.0 8.4
Excel Version: 2003 2007

Post by ScottW »

Unless you exceed the stack in a recursive calculation there is nothing to prohibit a rule calculated cell being dependent upon another rule calculated cell. You would need quite a long chain of calculations before hitting this limit. Typically this in only ever encountered with closing stock / opening stock type calculations.

More than likely the issue is with your rule syntax. It might be helpful if you post an example of your rules and feeders.

If you are using string input:
1/ Why?
2/ are you using full DB notation to retrieve string values and FeedStrings statement?

If you are as I suspect trying to rebuild an EP model in TM1 then I would advise against trying to recreate the equivalent structures in TM1. The design principles are fundamentally quite different and to achieve the same functional spec the best TM1 design is likely to not resemble an Analyst model at all.
Cheers,
Scott W
Cubewise
www.cubewise.com
ScottW
Regular Participant

Post by ScottW »

I see I have posted an echo ...
Cheers,
Scott W
Cubewise
www.cubewise.com
nhavis

Post by nhavis »

Oh thanks - it turns out I was referencing the entry cube and that's why no values were appearing.
ScottW wrote:If you are as I suspect trying to rebuild an EP model in TM1 then I would advise against trying to recreate the equivalent structures in TM1. The design principles are fundamentally quite different and to achieve the same functional spec the best TM1 design is likely to not resemble an Analyst model at all.
I'm not sure what an EP model is... could you explain further?
John Hobson
Site Admin
OLAP Product: Any
Version: 1.0
Excel Version: 2020

Post by John Hobson »

Typically this in only ever encountered with closing stock / opening stock type calculations.
and also for those of us who need to use that so rarely required concept of maximum or minimum ;)
John Hobson
The Planning Factory
ScottW
Regular Participant

Post by ScottW »

EP = Cognos Enterprise Planning

Clearly my 6th sense was a bit off. I just thought your cube design smacked of being transposed from another system ...
Cheers,
Scott W
Cubewise
www.cubewise.com