Ajay
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2.0, PA 2.0.9
Excel Version: 2016

Event ID 6008

Post by Ajay »

Hi All,

This week my TM1 server has crashed unexpectedly stating event id 6008 in the event viewer. Unhelpfully this is described as "the previous system shutdown at hh:mm on dd/mm/yy was unexpected". I don't get an error message at time of the crash.

I am running 9.0 SP3 U7 on 64 bit 72GB RAM, W2003 Enterprise Edition on DL580 server.

Any ideas what could be causing this ? Some forums suggesting it could be a h/w failure of some type, perhaps even power cables.

Thanks
Ajay
Steve Vincent
Site Admin
Version: 10.2.2 FP1
Excel Version: 2010

Re: Event ID 6008

Post by Steve Vincent »

Ajay, a lot of those event notices can be so vague its almost not worth worring about. There is a bunch of possible reasons listed here but i'd be tempted to leave it and just keep an eye on it. If it starts to crash regulary with the error code then it would be worth getting your IT support involved to take a look at the server.
If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator.
Production: Planning Analytics 64 bit 2.0.5, Windows 2016 Server. Excel 2016, IE11 for t'internet
Ajay
Regular Participant
Version: 10.2.0, PA 2.0.9
Excel Version: 2016

Post by Ajay »

Hi Guys

Thought i'd let you know the answer to this one. After a couple of weeks batting this around I had the server IT guys run a full diagnostic on the server.

The issues was the housing of the new memory we had recently added to the server. So they simply took the memory out and reseated it back in. Server has been working fine ever since with no crashes. Problem solved.

One to keep an eye out for if you ever get this event ID.

Ajay
Steve Vincent
Site Admin
Version: 10.2.2 FP1
Excel Version: 2010

Post by Steve Vincent »

Shoot your IT guys! RAM seating has got to be the easiest thing in the world, an IT professional working on a server should really ensure things like that are right before they switch it on :shock:

Good to hear you've found a solution tho
If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator.
Production: Planning Analytics 64 bit 2.0.5, Windows 2016 Server. Excel 2016, IE11 for t'internet
Steve Rowe
Site Admin
Version: TM1 v6,v7,v8,v9,v10,v11+PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

Post by Steve Rowe »

You think that's bad!

The worst I encountered was getting an IT dep't to apply the 3G switch, we supplied the applix example of how to do it on a word document.
The person who did the work copied the whole of the _example_ boot.ini line from the word file to the servers boot.ini rather than just adding the 3G switch to the end....
Cue much sniggering and finger pointing when the box refused to start-up. I think this requred a complete rebuild of the server

I've a feeling this thread could head in a different drection now

Cheers,
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk