Can I replace a dimension after a cube is created

telula

Can I replace a dimension after a cube is created

Post by telula »

Hello,
I found that the Chart of Account dimensions(created using ODBC TI process, "GL_Account" dimension) has got a wrong hierarchy. I created a new one using XDI and called it "R_Accounts" dimension. Can I substitute the "GL_Account" dimension with the
"R_Accounts" dimension without recreating the cube? I tried to delete the "GL_Account" dimension but the dimension is greyed out. Any ideas?
Steve Vincent
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2.2 FP1
Excel Version: 2010

Re: Can I replace a dimension after a cube is created

Post by Steve Vincent »

Telula,

Please don't take this the wrong way but it sounds like you'd really benefit from a TM1 developer training course from Cognos (assuming they do them in your area). It should give you a good basis to start your TM1 career, unless you have people in your organisation that can train you themselves?

Once a cube is created, that's it. You can not substitute one dim for another or add / remove dims from it. The only option in these cases is to delete the cube and start again. In your case it just sounds like the elements are not right in the original dim, so all you need to do is delete those elements then re-insert them in the same way you've built the other dim. As long as you have the same level 0 (nodal) elements in both the old and new versions, and you delete and insert them in the same TI / or rebuild via XDI, you shouldn't loose any data either.
If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator.
Production: Planning Analytics 64 bit 2.0.5, Windows 2016 Server. Excel 2016, IE11 for t'internet
telula

Post by telula »

Steve,
Thanks for the suggestion but I have already been to a developer course but as in all courses, they dont cover much.
And you only discover these other things when you start doing these yourself. If you find my questions tiresome, then please dont bother replying.
John Hobson
Site Admin
OLAP Product: Any
Version: 1.0
Excel Version: 2020

Post by John Hobson »

If you find my questions tiresome, then please dont bother replying
Steve - I don't think she liked your suggestion :?

Telula - maybe you ought to adopt a slightly less prickly attitude if you really want help form experts like Steve - It helps to stick around and read a bit to gauge the tone of the place before posting - this is one of the most laid back and helpful forums you will ever find - no need to get defensive here.

Please do keep posting, but do take the advice in the spirit in which it is given :)
John Hobson
The Planning Factory
David Usherwood
Site Admin

Post by David Usherwood »

Interesting question. I am working with a client at the moment where we built some cubes with dimension names which on reflection the client team weren't happy with. I asked for a document setting out the changes, and then did the following:

a In the file system, copied the xx cub file to xx_old.cub;
b In Perspectives, opened the dimension and saved as new name;
c Also in Perspectives, opened the rules file and copied it into Wordpad (to preserve the formatting);
d Recreated the cube using the new dimension (in the same position). This replaces the cube;
e Pasted back the rule and changed the references, using search and replace;
f Restarted the server;
g Copied the data from the xx_old cube (which appears on restart) to the new cube, using my favourite quick fix, relative percentage spread.

Fiddly? Yes. Worked though.
HTH
Roger_Lewin
Version: 9.4 MR1 FP1
Excel Version: 2003

Post by Roger_Lewin »

Why dont you simply delete all elements from the dimension via TI and replace them with the correct hierarchy? if the measures are saved to the same elements, no values are lost.

Take a look at DimensionDeleteAllElements in the Help Files