Dimension Re-Order Failed

George Regateiro
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.1.1
Excel Version: 2007 SP3

Dimension Re-Order Failed

Post by George Regateiro »

I was trying to re order the dimensions in a cube and was getting the Erorr Re Ordering Dimensions on one of my cubes. It is my largest cube, but I should have plenty of space on the server. My current model in total is about 4 gig and the server has over 9 gig free so I do not suspect memory because there should be plenty of space to make a copy of the cube.

What else could it be that is causing the issues? I can re order all the other cubes fine. Is there anyway I could get additional details on the generic error? Not pertinent appears in the logs.
TomBr

Re: Dimension Re-Order Failed

Post by TomBr »

The only time I have seen this is if you try and move a dimension containing string values which is typically the last dimension.

Leave that alone and move the rest and you should be fine.

Tom
Steve Rowe
Site Admin
Version: TM1 v6,v7,v8,v9,v10,v11+PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

Post by Steve Rowe »

I guess the other possability is that the bit of code that checks to see if a reorder will exceed the RAM limits has not been updated for 64 bit?
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
Steve Vincent
Site Admin
Version: 10.2.2 FP1
Excel Version: 2010

Post by Steve Vincent »

The dim order is important, i had similar isues when i was trying to move a dim that had string values to a place it didn't like. If you have calculated what you think the best order is its definately worth looking at possible string values as i had to leave one dim where it was for that reason.
If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator.
Production: Planning Analytics 64 bit 2.0.5, Windows 2016 Server. Excel 2016, IE11 for t'internet
George Regateiro
MVP
Version: 10.1.1
Excel Version: 2007 SP3

Post by George Regateiro »

Thanks to everyone for all the help. It was the string in a dimension issue. The strange part is we reorged a few years ago and it allowed it to be changed then.

Thanks again.
David Usherwood
Site Admin

Post by David Usherwood »

Hmmmm....
I was in one of Joe Puztai's Best Practices sessions a few years ago and I do believe he made a flat statement appropos of having an extra measure dim in all cubes, where text could go, that it was fine because you could reorder later.
What version/bitness were you using? May need an SR.
Martin Ryan
Site Admin
Version: 10.1

Post by Martin Ryan »

It's always been that way - I don't think an upgrade will help. The elements from the last dimension in the cube determines what type of cell it is - string or numeric.

In the past you may have been able to re-order because, despite there being a string element, you didn't actually have any string text in the cube. However if there is string data and you try to reorder the string element's dimension further up the cube, then the cell that contains the string will no longer be a string cell and thus it won't allow you to reorder it.

Martin
Please do not send technical questions via private message or email. Post them in the forum where you'll probably get a faster reply, and everyone can benefit from the answers.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
David Usherwood
Site Admin

Just tried it out on 9.0SP3U9 and yes, if there are string elements in the last dimension you can't resequence it. Time to drop Joe P a line, methinks, or to raise an SR.
Eric
MVP
Version: 9.4
Excel Version: 2003

Post by Eric »

I think it is a known error are you are SOL. Rebuild the cube.
Regards,
Eric
Blog: http://tm1-tipz.blogspot.com
Articles: http://www.google.com/reader/shared/use ... /label/TM1

Production: 32 bit 9.0 SP2, Windows 2000 Advanced Server. Web: 32 bit 9.0 SP2, Windows 2000 Server. Excel 2003
Martin Ryan
Site Admin
Version: 10.1

Post by Martin Ryan »

Eric wrote:I think it is a known error.
I don't think it's an error. In a multi dimensional cube, there has to be something that dictates whether a cell is a numeric cell or a string cell. TM1 has always used the 'N' or 'S' element type of the final dimension to dictate whether it is a string or numeric intersection. If you move that dimension, then it will then use the elements in the new last dimension which will usually all be N elements, hence it will want to make the cell numeric, hence the error.

I guess there is the possiblity that TM1 will one day allow you to dictate which dimension is the measures dimension and use that dimension to control whether an intersection is a numeric or string value, regardless of the location of the dimension in the cube - but until that day, it'll be the last dimension and thus you won't be able to move it once you have string data in the cube.

Cheers,
Martin
Please do not send technical questions via private message or email. Post them in the forum where you'll probably get a faster reply, and everyone can benefit from the answers.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
David Usherwood
Site Admin

Martin, I agree. But Joe Puztai, giving a Best Practices session, left me a pretty firm impression that you could do this. One of his BP mantras was 'always have an extra measure dimension, put it last, you can put text in but you can still resequence'. I've been applying that (and most other BP ideas) for a while, and don't want to made to look more of an old dodderer than I feel many mornings. So Joe.....
Steve Rowe
Site Admin
Version: TM1 v6,v7,v8,v9,v10,v11+PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

Post by Steve Rowe »

The whole strings in the last dim things has drifted in and out for a while. There was certainly a time when you were able to(or at leaset we were told you could) have strings in any positioned dimension, maybe late 7 early 8, not sure. It was a bit of functionality that never really stuck though.
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk