Windows 2003 and TM1 8.2

hansstip
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 9.1 SP 3
Excel Version: Excel 2007

Windows 2003 and TM1 8.2

Post by hansstip »

Hello Forum,

We have TM1 version 8.2 running on a Windows 2000 server with SP4.
But the server crashes regularly.
We would like to upgrade the server to Windows 2003 in order to get a more stable environment
Is that possible and easy with the 8.2 version ?
Are there any issues we should be aware of ?

Thanx in advance

Hans van Stippent
Database Marketing
Otto BV
The Netherlands
Last edited by hansstip on Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Usherwood
Site Admin

Re: Windows 2003 and TM1 8.2

Post by David Usherwood »

That's a very old version. I'm not sure it's even supported on W2K.

Why don't you upgrade to Version 9? That would be (I would suggest) 9.0SP3U9. This is normally pretty smooth. Of course there may be other reasons you are having stability issues - are you running out of memory, for instance?
hansstip
Version: 9.1 SP 3
Excel Version: Excel 2007

Post by hansstip »

I understand, but for now we would like to have a quick solution
without issues (e.g. no other user-interface for end users)
because we do not have much time/capacity at the moment to address this problem.

Our support managers leaves by the end of the year :(, so we are looking for an easy solution
with the least possibility for unexpected issues in january...
Martin Ryan
Site Admin
Version: 10.1
Excel Version: 2010

Post by Martin Ryan »

I think you'll be fine upgrading to Windows 2003 with 8.2, however David alludes to another point - that the OS may not be your problem. In fact it's unlikely to be your problem, so fixing this "problem" will possibly just end up eating up whatever remains of your support manager's time.

The most common cause of consistent crashes with TM1 is hitting memory limits. I suggest you carry out some testing to eliminate that first. The easiest way of doing this is having Task Manager running on the box that is running your TM1 server, preferably with someone watching the tm1s.exe or tm1sd.exe process while someone else opens up a view larger views. If your server hits the 2GB limit then TM1 ungraciously falls over.

Given your short time frame you should probably tackle a few scenarios simultaneously.

Martin
Please do not send technical questions via private message or email. Post them in the forum where you'll probably get a faster reply, and everyone can benefit from the answers.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
jim wood
Site Admin
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by jim wood »

Have you looked upgrading your server software version to 8.4.2? (No client upgrade needed. You may even be able to upgrade by dropping in the loose files if you are still able to donwload them.) We used that for over 12 months without a crash. We found it very stable. When ran it on both Solaris 9 and Windows 2003,

Jim.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
Steve Vincent
Site Admin
Version: 10.2.2 FP1
Excel Version: 2010

Post by Steve Vincent »

win2003 will be fine, we ran 8.1.8 on the same and had no issues. as martin said tho, i can't see that being the reason for the crashes, although i can see why you don't want to upgrade TM1 as it takes us ages too. definately look for the size of the service and watch it up to and including when it crashes. hitting the RAM limits is the most common cause, then all you have to do is figure out a way to stop them...
If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator.
Production: Planning Analytics 64 bit 2.0.5, Windows 2016 Server. Excel 2016, IE11 for t'internet