TM1 Official Demo

DevGreg

TM1 Official Demo

Post by DevGreg »

Dear all,

I've been a TM1 user/developer for a few years now, even if we're a bit late on the software update (client still in 9.0).

As my company is currently assessing other solutions such as SAP BPC, I was having a look the other day at the demos available on the different websites (IBM, SAP, Oracle, ...)
When I found this one:
http://public.dhe.ibm.com/software/data ... ognos_tm1/

It surprised me not to see a single Excel spreadsheet in the whole demonstration, so: do your TM1 models all run like this? Only through web reports/views?
Or are we the only ones to still use Excel templates and VBA macros... ^^

Thanks for your feedback, regards.
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Re: TM1 Official Demo

Post by Alan Kirk »

DevGreg wrote:Dear all,

I've been a TM1 user/developer for a few years now, even if we're a bit late on the software update (client still in 9.0).

As my company is currently assessing other solutions such as SAP BPC, I was having a look the other day at the demos available on the different websites (IBM, SAP, Oracle, ...)
When I found this one:
http://public.dhe.ibm.com/software/data ... ognos_tm1/

It surprised me not to see a single Excel spreadsheet in the whole demonstration, so: do your TM1 models all run like this? Only through web reports/views?
Or are we the only ones to still use Excel templates and VBA macros... ^^

Thanks for your feedback, regards.
{Moved from the Commercial forum to the main TM1 one}

No, you're certainly not the only ones still using an Excel interface with VBA. However you do have to bear in mind that although they're still selling TM1 as a separate package, IBM is pushing toward TM1/Cognos integration; essentially the "would you like fries and an apple pie with that" upsizing option. It makes sense that the presentations (like that one) should emphasise the combined TM1/Cognos solution rather than the stand-alone TM1 one, since the latter earns them less cash both in the initial sale, and in maintenance revenue. You'll probably still find plenty of installations out there which are TM1 only, though that will doubtless change over the next few years particularly with Cognos Express rather than stand-alone TM1 being pushed as the entry level solution now.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
David Usherwood
Site Admin

Post by David Usherwood »

Think you'd be surprised how many Cognos Express sales are really pure play TM1. Remember that though IBM offer you a good deal to buy all the modules, it's still cheaper to buy Excelerator if that's all you want.
ellissj3
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: 9.0 - 10.2
Excel Version: 2010

Post by ellissj3 »

Hello,

Given that IBM is trying to bundle the TM1 and Cognos 10 platforms together. Does anyone else out there only have experience with TM1? or have very limited exposure to the Cognos 10 platform? Any recommendations on how to keep my skills relevant with regards to this change would be greatly appreciated. I don't know much about the Cognos 10 platform itself, but I hear it's a completely different operation than working with TM1.

Thank you,
Steve
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Post by tomok »

Just because you know TM1 does not mean you can do anything in Cognos 10. Compared to someone else with no OLAP experience you would probably have an advantage trying to learn Cognos 10, but it still is a whole new ball game. They are two completely separate products and they have their own learning curves.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
ellissj3
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: 9.0 - 10.2
Excel Version: 2010

Post by ellissj3 »

Tomok,

Thank you for the response. Do you know of any resources that are available to teach myself about Cognos 8 or 10, besides IBM trainings? Any insight you can provide would be most helpful.

Thank you
DevGreg

Post by DevGreg »

OK guys, thanks for your feedback :D
moby91
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 9.5.1
Excel Version: 2003 2007

Post by moby91 »

Do you know of any resources that are available to teach myself about Cognos 8 or 10, besides IBM trainings? Any insight you can provide would be most helpful.
If you look for a primer to start with Cognos BI Version 10.1, you may check the IBM Redbook

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/pdfs/sg247912.pdf
IBM Cognos Business Intelligence V10.1 Handbook

If you want to know how to integrate TM1 with Cognos BI you might check it's Chapter 11: "Integrating IBM Cognos BI with IBM Cognos Business Analytics solutions", page 527 to 544.