TM1 to Analysis Services

George Regateiro
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.1.1
Excel Version: 2007 SP3

TM1 to Analysis Services

Post by George Regateiro »

Has anyone had any experience moving TM1 data to Analysis services? In managements pursuit for better reporting out of TM1 a sales person for another BI vendor told my management that they could do the reporting if the information was replicated in Analysis Services since they have an analysis services connector. So the ever increasing need to pinch pennies had made it my task to evaluate this option, only problem is I have never used analysis services. I dont think this is a very viable solution for the nature of our app, but it is my task.

Is there an effective method of transfering data from TM1 to Analysis Services? If so what are some of the pitfalls that others might have encountered? It would just be a one way effort (TM1 to Analysis Services, no bi-directional data flow) for reporting purposes only.
Steve Rowe
Site Admin
Version: TM1 v6,v7,v8,v9,v10,v11+PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

Re: TM1 to Analysis Services

Post by Steve Rowe »

First I'm no expert but, I think analysis services sits on top of an ordinary SQL DB so there shouldn't be problem getting the data out to MSAS. Then once you have bult the meta data layer in analysis services you have your cubes. There are some pretty front ends for MSAS out there, no idea if it will bo a better job than pure TM1/Excel/Web/EV play.

HTH a bit and an expert comes along soon.
Cheers,
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
MGarcia

Post by MGarcia »

Steve Rowe wrote:There are some pretty front ends for MSAS out there...
EV is one of them.
Martin Ryan
Site Admin
Version: 10.1
Excel Version: 2010

Post by Martin Ryan »

I'm under the same impression as Steve, so I think your easy way to get data in SQL for AS to use, is simply to use TI with a bunch of ODBCOutput commands.

If you struggle with the character limit that that has then you might have to dump to an ASCII file and load up via whatever SQL uses to import data.

Martin
Please do not send technical questions via private message or email. Post them in the forum where you'll probably get a faster reply, and everyone can benefit from the answers.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer