Option to NOT log when a TI / Chore runs

Steve Vincent
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2.2 FP1
Excel Version: 2010

Option to NOT log when a TI / Chore runs

Post by Steve Vincent »

An easy way to track user activity on TM1 is to run a tiny TI that checks the "ACTIVE" property of a client and adds the current date to a cube for anyone logged in. Currently we do this once every 30 mins, but thats not always enough to ensure you catch each user. I'd like to increase the frequency to every 10 or maybe 5 mins, but i know that everytime it runs the logs will get clogged with "2008/11/06 13:53:54:Process "zLast Logged On" finished executing normally" type messages.

I'm almost certain this can't eb done, but is there any way to not log the running of the chore / ti to stop the logs getting silly sizes?
If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator.
Production: Planning Analytics 64 bit 2.0.5, Windows 2016 Server. Excel 2016, IE11 for t'internet
Steve Rowe
Site Admin
Version: TM1 v6,v7,v8,v9,v10,v11+PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

Re: Option to NOT log when a TI / Chore runs

Post by Steve Rowe »

I don't think so unless it's very new. I've been asking for this for ages so that we can increase performance of calling 1 TI from another...I haven't had chance to investigate but I believe 9.4 has changes to the logging functionality but I have not heard if this is included.

Cheers,
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
David Usherwood
Site Admin

Post by David Usherwood »

What about running Performance Monitor and processing the }StatsbyClient data? I accept it wouldn't capture users who logged on and did nothing - but surely they wouldn't bother. Maybe need to apply some judgement to the result. _OR_ go back to Iboglix and suggest they extend the logic to capture logons and logoffs.
Martin Ryan
Site Admin
Version: 10.1

Post by Martin Ryan »

Which version are you running? If it's one of the early versions you can't get into the back of the tm1s.log because it's locked, but in 9.x I think tm1server.log can be opened.

So, if you're 9.x, you could try running a batch file or parser or whatever to open up the log file every hour or so and delete any lines with reference to your TI process.

Martin
Please do not send technical questions via private message or email. Post them in the forum where you'll probably get a faster reply, and everyone can benefit from the answers.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
mattgoff
MVP
Version: 10.2.2.6
Excel Version: O365

Post by mattgoff »

Martin Ryan wrote:Which version are you running? If it's one of the early versions you can't get into the back of the tm1s.log because it's locked
You can use BareTail to read/watch locked files.

Matt
Please read and follow the Request for Assistance Guidelines. It helps us answer your question and saves everyone a lot of time.
Eric
MVP
Version: 9.4
Excel Version: 2003

Post by Eric »

I activated the transaction log on the status field on the }CLientProperties cube

I have a record of every log on and log off for all my users.
Regards,
Eric
Blog: http://tm1-tipz.blogspot.com
Articles: http://www.google.com/reader/shared/use ... /label/TM1

Production: 32 bit 9.0 SP2, Windows 2000 Advanced Server. Web: 32 bit 9.0 SP2, Windows 2000 Server. Excel 2003
Steve Vincent
Site Admin

Post by Steve Vincent »

Yes, we already use the }ClientProperties cube to track the users with a TI, but that uses the "live" status when the TI runs rather than what's being logged. I've started to write some stuff to parse the logfiles in the data directory and extract all those events with a view to loading that to my tracking cube. I'll post what i complete in case anyone else finds it useful.
If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator.
Production: Planning Analytics 64 bit 2.0.5, Windows 2016 Server. Excel 2016, IE11 for t'internet
David Usherwood
Site Admin

Post by David Usherwood »

We'll check it out, but I think Eric's wheeze of logging }CubeProperties is neat. Then read the logfiles as Steve V suggests and you're in. (Steve, what are you thinking of doing it with? I feel a perl moment coming). Would be useful if the _vendor_ provided this type of thing though...
bihints.com
Version: 9.0.3
Excel Version: 2003

Post by bihints.com »

mattgoff wrote:
Martin Ryan wrote:Which version are you running? If it's one of the early versions you can't get into the back of the tm1s.log because it's locked
You can use BareTail to read/watch locked files.

Matt
RLY? I just tried with BareTail free version http://www.baremetalsoft.com/baretail/download.php?p=m and it failed to open the locked tm1smsg.log (9.0.3)
Steve Vincent
Site Admin

Post by Steve Vincent »

David Usherwood wrote:We'll check it out, but I think Eric's wheeze of logging }CubeProperties is neat. Then read the logfiles as Steve V suggests and you're in. (Steve, what are you thinking of doing it with? I feel a perl moment coming). Would be useful if the _vendor_ provided this type of thing though...
PERL indeed :lol: A colleague is much better versed in the ways of PERL than i and had already written a script for searching for strings in log files (much quicker than using the TM1 search when looking over a large date range and doesn't hold up users whilst doing it) so i have used that as a base for finding all the log in / log out transactions. Still working on the TI part, but will share once i have it working.