Cube logging settings different to control cube

wilsonric
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 2.0.9
Excel Version: 365 MSO 16-0-13127

Cube logging settings different to control cube

Post by wilsonric »

I was just reviewing our cube logging and found a discrepancy between what the }CubeProperites cube says is being logged and what the Cube securities assignments dialog box says (when I right click on Cubes - Security Assignments). A number of different cubes seem to be out of sync with no discernable pattern to this. This discrepancy could have been happening for a long time, just the first time I have noticed.
Should these two objects be in sync? Should I physically type in YES in to the "LOGGING" field in the control cube to synchronise them? Should I do something else to get them in sync?

We are on TM1 version 9.1.3.
Regards,
Richard
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Re: Cube logging settings different to control cube

Post by tomok »

The default setting for cube logging is on. Anything other than the word "NO" in the LOGGING property of the }CubeProperties cube means logging will be turned on.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
captnknz
OLAP Product: Tm1
Version: 13.0
Excel Version: 2016

Post by captnknz »

I have found this in the past. The Security Assignments appears to be the primary security source, with the control cube reflecting changes after 20 min or so (or a server reset). I used rules in the control cube that did not immediately update in the Security Assignments, but did given the opportunity. I would say that cube logging will only be partially effective in this situation due to the system nature of these objects. I wouldn't be too worried, but something to keep an eye on.
Kirk Bensemann
wilsonric

Post by wilsonric »

Thanks guys, this sounds like all OK as is. Just worth checking when objects don't appear to be in sync.
Regards,
Richard
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

wilsonric wrote:Thanks guys, this sounds like all OK as is. Just worth checking when objects don't appear to be in sync.
It's not the only time that this happens; the Status value of clients in the Client Properties cube isn't always fully up to date and/or correct, and wasn't even before Iboglix screwed up the tracking of this in 9.1 and required you to use a new parameter to fix it in ...9.4, I think. However the values in memory always are up to date, and when you open the main GUI display I believe that it's the in-memory values that are queried, not the cube values. Similarly the correct values should always be obtained from API calls, if one is desperate enough to write the relevant code.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by lotsaram »

Alan Kirk wrote:It's not the only time that this happens; the Status value of clients in the Client Properties cube isn't always fully up to date and/or correct, and wasn't even before Iboglix screwed up the tracking of this in 9.1 and required you to use a new parameter to fix it in ...9.4, I think. However the values in memory always are up to date, and when you open the main GUI display I believe that it's the in-memory values that are queried, not the cube values. Similarly the correct values should always be obtained from API calls, if one is desperate enough to write the relevant code.
That's for }ClientProperties and from 9.1.4 ClientPropertiesSyncInterval is required to keep the cube up to date (at least for the "Active" field). However this reported disconnect is in }CubeProperties not }ClientProperties. Previously I haven't ever observed any disparity between cube logging settings and what is recorded in }CubeProperties. Unless we hear otherwise from wilsonric with screenshots to verify I would assume that there are just some blank values in the cube where the default has never been changed, in which case as already pointed out the default will be for logging to be on.
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

lotsaram wrote:
Alan Kirk wrote:It's not the only time that this happens; the Status value of clients in the Client Properties cube isn't always fully up to date and/or correct, and wasn't even before Iboglix screwed up the tracking of this in 9.1 and required you to use a new parameter to fix it in ...9.4, I think. However the values in memory always are up to date, and when you open the main GUI display I believe that it's the in-memory values that are queried, not the cube values. Similarly the correct values should always be obtained from API calls, if one is desperate enough to write the relevant code.
That's for }ClientProperties and from 9.1.4 ClientPropertiesSyncInterval is required to keep the cube up to date (at least for the "Active" field). However this reported disconnect is in }CubeProperties not }ClientProperties. Previously I haven't ever observed any disparity between cube logging settings and what is recorded in }CubeProperties. Unless we hear otherwise from wilsonric with screenshots to verify I would assume that there are just some blank values in the cube where the default has never been changed, in which case as already pointed out the default will be for logging to be on.
Yes, I do actually understand the difference between the two. My point was that I've also seen instances where the control cube value is not necessarily one that you can rely on. I know that I've also encountered the occasional disparity in the past, and not just those two for that matter. I'll make sure that I keep screenshots next time it happens, if the thought occurs to me.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
wilsonric

Post by wilsonric »

In reply to lotsaram : Yes the control cube contained blank fields, which was my initial concern as they were neither YES or NO.
Regards,
Richard