Need suggestion on TM1 server

wpreech

Need suggestion on TM1 server

Post by wpreech »

Hi,
I'm planning for setting up a TM1 environment for our department to do forecast (using Perspective Excel). The info I have is there are 20+ entities, about 100 of cubes, and 130 of concurrent users from many countries (about 100ms to the server). Since TM1 doesn't response well on the long distance, so we also plan for a Terminal Services server for all users. We're looking to go with 2 x quadcore 2.5 GHZ CPU and 32GB of RAM for TM1 (Windows 2003 64-bit), and 1 x quadcore 2.5 GHz with 16GB RAM for TS. Any comment please?
jim wood
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Re: Need suggestion on TM1 server

Post by jim wood »

Sounds like a good plan. You may want to also consider creating summary cubes for each country / region. The smaller cubes hould perform better and recue network traffic,

Jim.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
Martin Erlmoser
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: TM1, Cognos Express,..
Version: 9.1.4 FP1
Excel Version: 2010

Post by Martin Erlmoser »

you can give your TS Server a little bit more RAM (normaly i calculate with 100mb/user but for 130 tm1users (controller always try to open as many excelsheets as possible ;) ) i would calculate with 150mb)
mattgoff
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2.2.6
Excel Version: O365

Post by mattgoff »

Strong agree on the terminal server-- TM1 barely works for us across the US, much less internationally (and replication is problematic, at best). We went with replicating servers which I do not recommend-- replication is problematic at best (and adds a lot of administrative complexity). As far as TM1 server specs, it's hard to say as it really depends on your model: density, rules, etc. In my experience processors (qty, speed) are nearly irrelevant except during startup but having heaps of RAM is a requirement. My advice is to just make sure you pick a server with room to grow.

Matt
Please read and follow the Request for Assistance Guidelines. It helps us answer your question and saves everyone a lot of time.