Tm1 Active form usage

ravi
OLAP Product: cognos
Version: tm1 9.5
Excel Version: 2007

Tm1 Active form usage

Post by ravi »

Hi

I am not able visualise the use of the active form in tm1- can any one help me understand active form concept/usage advantange with some exaple.

Regards,
ravi
David Usherwood
Site Admin

Re: Tm1 Active form usage

Post by David Usherwood »

Active forms are slices which allow the user to drill on rows.
George Regateiro
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.1.1
Excel Version: 2007 SP3

Post by George Regateiro »

Active Forms are great when your data will generate different amounts of row data dependant on the selected title dimensions.

The best example of a use that I have is our model that tracks the bill of materials to a job number. depending on the Job selected there may be 1 - 300 parts associated. In traditional excel based templates we had to account for the larger number and ensure the template could accomodate. With active forms the form just expands as needed.

Also as was pointed out by David the drilling capabilities within the formatted excel environment are big benefits.
Solanna
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 9.5.2 to 10.2
Excel Version: 2007 - 2013

Post by Solanna »

Besides the dynamic row capabilities, Active Forms also allow for dynamic formatting as well

So besides providing for more function they also provide for a great looking report or input template

Keep in mind though that if you plan on going down the Active Form route that they can be a bit finicky and do not perform well with large amounts of data and/or stacked rows

Also, it is recommended that you use a defined subset in your rows and as a starting point of your development use a defined view as well
Which means you should think about your design before developing your Active Form

Solanna