The grand plan

Martin Ryan
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.1
Excel Version: 2010

The grand plan

Post by Martin Ryan »

Alan Kirk in the Applix forum: Slightly slower than this one, much faster than Cognos Communities, but it's great to see someone taking the bull by the horns.

However... there are a couple of practical issues that probably need to be covered.

The first is that I don't think a Forum run by any single individual is viable, simply because continuity will be so vital. One of the objectives of the exercise would be to ensure that we're never left hanging out in the wind again as we may be with Iboglix. Gods forbid that you get bored with it, or worse, Helen Clark drags you off to the Beehive to have her wicked way with you. I'm aware of the danger of camels being horses designed by a committee, but I also think that whatever evolves will need between half a dozen and a dozen administrators just to make sure that there's enough redundancy in case someone gets busy or gets bored, that all timezones are covered (as far as is possible) for support, and that there are enough hands to pass the torch on to should anyone move on from the OLAP area.

The second is the cost of running the thing. Again, there would be a danger if any one individual had to carry the can. I don't think that we'd need to go so far as a formal contract, but I think that there would need to be at least an "honour system" agreement between the founding fathers (and mothers, as the case may be) to share some of the cost. I can't speak for others, but I'd be more than happy to kick in a few Denari. Possibly a small amount of targeted advertising and a PayPal donation option would provide further funding to the tune of $US 1.50 in a good year.

Out of curiosity, where's this hosted at the moment?
It's currently hosted by GoDaddy. Who whoever they outsource to. Nobody does any work these days except India.

Yes, when I get a chance I intend to add a "Donate" button. It's not especially expensive at about $US100 a year all up, so if a few people were happy to donate $US10 then that would mean no need for ads.

I also intend to pass out the FTP details for the domain and for this BB to a few individuals who volunteer.

Ultimately I would like to see this website evolve to include a wiki (starting small with an OLAP definition, a Dimension definition etc and growing from there), a jobs page (similar to TM1Jobs.com but not TM1 specific) and links to other blogs, if not blogs run on the site itself.

Anybody got some other ideas for the site?

Obviously I don't have the time to do it all myself and as Alan rightly points out it's in nobody's interest for any one person to do it all.

Cheers,
Martin
Please do not send technical questions via private message or email. Post them in the forum where you'll probably get a faster reply, and everyone can benefit from the answers.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
jim wood
Site Admin
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Re: The grand plan

Post by jim wood »

call the wiki session olapedia
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
Martin Ingram
OLAP Product: Planning Analytics
Version: IBM SaaS - Digital Pack
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by Martin Ingram »

Looks like a great piece of work to me Martin, and like Alan suggested I'd be very happy to contribute a small amount every year to the running costs.

Now how to get people to ditch the old forum and start using this one?
Andy Key
MVP
Version: 2.5 to PA
Excel Version: Lots

Post by Andy Key »

I think Cognos are sorting that out for us!
Andy Key