Spread according to profile

John Hobson
Site Admin
OLAP Product: Any
Version: 1.0
Excel Version: 2020

Spread according to profile

Post by John Hobson »

I have a cube with 52 weeks of data by product by version by store format.

Users want to be able to amend the sales profile according to a pattern that wont have the same dimensionality in order to smooth out odd peaks and troughs in historic data.

I seem to recall a discussion about spreading according to a separte profile but I can't find it.

What are the best practice ways of doing this?

TIA.
John Hobson
The Planning Factory
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Re: Spread according to profile

Post by tomok »

John Hobson wrote:I have a cube with 52 weeks of data by product by version by store format.

Users want to be able to amend the sales profile according to a pattern that wont have the same dimensionality in order to smooth out odd peaks and troughs in historic data.

I seem to recall a discussion about spreading according to a separte profile but I can't find it.

What are the best practice ways of doing this?

TIA.
I'm not sure exactly what you are asking. Unless you are talking about spreading with rules, there are only two ways to spread in TM1, using a TI process, or the clients doing it directly by right-clicking on a cell and picking the appropriate spreading method. Considering you have no control over what a client does, I am assuming you mean via TI. In TI there is only the one spreading function available, CellPutProportionalSpread which greatly limits how you spread. Since you can't control the spreading method, all you can control is 1) how much get's spread by controlling the base, or 2) control the entry point(s) in the hierarchy(s). I have never tried point 2) but I don't see any reason why you couldn't have a client parameter cube (using the }Clients dimension) that you could use to call which specific entry points in the hiearachy you start your spreading from. Is that what you are talking about?
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
John Hobson
Site Admin
OLAP Product: Any
Version: 1.0
Excel Version: 2020

Re: Spread according to profile

Post by John Hobson »

Hi Tomok
Is that what you are talking about?
Yes pretty much, thanks, and you've confirmed what I thought.

I'm a little bit rusty on the finer points of TM1 having been on the dark side (Palo) for a bit.
John Hobson
The Planning Factory