Removing element level security completely

wilsonric
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 2.0.9
Excel Version: 365 MSO 16-0-13127

Removing element level security completely

Post by wilsonric »

I would like to remove element level security completely from a dimension.
Can I delete the "}ElementSecurity_fyday.cub" object when the TM1 service is stopped, and then restart without the object?
Is this safe? Is there a better way to do it?
Regards,
Richard
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: Office 365

Re: Removing element level security completely

Post by lotsaram »

wilsonric wrote:I would like to remove element level security completely from a dimension.
Can I delete the "}ElementSecurity_fyday.cub" object when the TM1 service is stopped, and then restart without the object?
Is this safe? Is there a better way to do it?
A very reasonable question. When it comes to completely removing element and cell security the only way to "safely and reliably" do it is to delete the control cube .cub file when the server is stopped then restart. Just make sure you have removed any downstream dependencies and back up before you go ahead.
Suharsh
Version: 9.5.2
Excel Version: 2003

Post by Suharsh »

Hello,

I have a similar question.

I want to delete all elements except a few from control dimension "}Clients".

Since its a control object, it cant be done manually. Can we create a subset of the elements we dont want to delete and then delete rest of them?

Which is the best way to do this.

Thanks,
Sukhen
Suharsh....
David Usherwood
Site Admin

Post by David Usherwood »

Use DeleteClient in a TI process - see the Reference Guide.
Note you cannot delete Admin - I tried once :oops: .
Suharsh

Post by Suharsh »

Thanks for your reply David.

But I have a lot of Clients which I need to delete. I was looking for something where I could delete all but a few.

Is there any other way you think I could do it?

Somehting like Delete all......

Thanks,
Sukhen
Suharsh....
asutcliffe
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: 9.4.1 - 10.1
Excel Version: 2003 and 2007

Post by asutcliffe »

Sukhen Sharma wrote:Thanks for your reply David.

But I have a lot of Clients which I need to delete. I was looking for something where I could delete all but a few.

Is there any other way you think I could do it?

Somehting like Delete all......

Thanks,
Sukhen
Can you create a subset of all the users you want to delete and use that a source for a TI process that deletes them with DeleteClient? If your problem is that you want to specify those not to delete rather than those to delete, you can look at using Except in MDX to create your subset.
Suharsh

Post by Suharsh »

Hello,

I am trying to create a subset using MDX Query. I created an expression through record Expression and it is working there.

But when I am trying to create a subset by using that MDX in TI process, I am not able to create that.

I want to ask a question. Is is possible to create a subset for control dimension.

I want to delete some clients from }Clients dimension, which is a control object. For this I am trying to create a subset of the elements which I want to delete. But Subset is not getting created.

Please help.

Thanks
Sukhen
Suharsh....
asutcliffe
Regular Participant

Post by asutcliffe »

Sukhen Sharma wrote:Hello,

I am trying to create a subset using MDX Query. I created an expression through record Expression and it is working there.

But when I am trying to create a subset by using that MDX in TI process, I am not able to create that.
This could be for a number of reasons but hard to say why without more info. I know of no reason why this shouldn't be possible for a control dim though.
Sukhen Sharma wrote:I want to ask a question. Is is possible to create a subset for control dimension.
The fact that you managed via the subset editor tells you that is.
Sukhen Sharma wrote:I want to delete some clients from }Clients dimension, which is a control object. For this I am trying to create a subset of the elements which I want to delete. But Subset is not getting created.
When you say you want to delete from the control dimension I've assumed you just want to delete the users from TM1 - is that right? If you're doing this as a one off, can you not just create the subset manually rather than doing so within the TI process? How many users are we talking about anyway?
Suharsh

Post by Suharsh »

Yes, I mean to delete the users from TM1. There are around 150 elements in the }Client dimension (150 Users).

I just want to retain 5 of them. Thus what I was intending is that I create a subset of all the elements except for these 5 and delete those elements.

Thus it is not possible for me to create a subset manually.

Thanks
Suharsh....
asutcliffe
Regular Participant

Post by asutcliffe »

Sukhen Sharma wrote:Yes, I mean to delete the users from TM1. There are around 150 elements in the }Client dimension (150 Users).

I just want to retain 5 of them. Thus what I was intending is that I create a subset of all the elements except for these 5 and delete those elements.

Thus it is not possible for me to create a subset manually.
Sorry but, I don't understand why it isn't possible. Why can't you just create the subset, using MDX if you want/need to, and then set your saved subset as the data source for a TI process?
Suharsh

Post by Suharsh »

It looked strange to me even that why was I not able to create a susbset and delete it.

But thanks for the suggestion. I have now used the normal dimensiondeleteelement() function to delete those which I wanted to delete and it is working well.

Initially I thought that I would not be able to use this function to delete elements from Control Dimension, but good news is that It works fine.

Thanks all for your inputs.

Sukhen
Suharsh....