TM1 lost data

robincollett

TM1 lost data

Post by robincollett »

Whilst using TM19.1SP2 I have a cube who I load a large amount of information into. Come the end of the day since it is a development server sitting on my c drive I shut the server down and reboot in the morning. When rebooted the data will not be in that particular cube. I have checked and there are no files with $ by them and I shut down is in a normal manner.

Does anyone know why this would occur?

Cheers,

Robin
Martin Ryan
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.1
Excel Version: 2010

Re: TM1 lost data

Post by Martin Ryan »

Are you running as an application or service? Given that it's on your personal C:\ I'm guessing that it's as an application.

If so, when you shut it down a message would've popped up saying "Do you wish to save changes to the server?". With Yes/No as the options. Many a time I've clicked "No" by accident and I would guess you have done this.

To confirm if this is the case go into your logging directory (which may well be the same as your data directory) as see if there is a .rej file from around about the time you shut the server down.

A quick bit of background: TM1 writes everything into RAM and a log file (if you have logging turned on). The data is not written back to disk until you shut the server down (confirming you want to save changes) or you manually force a save data by right clicking on the server name and selecting "Save Data".

Martin
Please do not send technical questions via private message or email. Post them in the forum where you'll probably get a faster reply, and everyone can benefit from the answers.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
osteveo
Version: 9.0 SP3
Excel Version: 2003

Post by osteveo »

So, from a non tech guy. If I don't right click Save Data, I could be skrewed, right?
Martin Ryan
Site Admin
Version: 10.1
Excel Version: 2010

Post by Martin Ryan »

From a non-tech perspective the easiest way to get the data back in is to reload it the way you did originally.

If you're lucky enough that your .rej (rejected) log file is less than 64,000 rows you could open it up in Excel and write some DBS formulae to send the data up to TM1.

If you've loaded a lot of data though the Excel method isn't practical and you have to write a TI process. This is ok if you've only loaded to one cube. If you've loaded to more than one cube and the cubes have a different number of dimensions, it gets quite tricky rather quickly.

To avoid the Save Data problem, you can run TM1 as a service. This automatically saves changes at shut down, and when it loads will also automatically load any log file left over from an unexpected TM1 shut down.
James W's Blog wrote:Open a command prompt and change directory to the bin folder of where TM1 is installed

e.g.
CD C:\Program Files\Applix\Bin

to create a service type:
tm1sd.exe -install -n"ServiceName" -z"DataDirectory"

to delete a service type:
tm1sd.exe -remove "ServiceName"
Martin
Please do not send technical questions via private message or email. Post them in the forum where you'll probably get a faster reply, and everyone can benefit from the answers.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
armas

Post by armas »

I have an automatic scheduled Chore which executes a TI process that saves data every 2 or 3 hours.

I have never been sure that running as service automatically saves when shuts down and automatically load logs when unexpected shut down