TM1 User Audit

pmerrill
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: Version 9.1 SP2 - Update 3
Excel Version: Excel 2010

TM1 User Audit

Post by pmerrill »

We're currently running TM1 9.1 SP2 Update 3 and I'm trying to complete an audit of the users we have within the company. What is the easiest way to determine how many registered users we have and when they last logged in. I am hoping there is some function/command one can run on the server to list all the users with their last login date.

Can anyone provide any feedback or ideas how to do this :?:
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: Office 365

Re: TM1 User Audit

Post by lotsaram »

pmerrill wrote:We're currently running TM1 9.1 SP2 Update 3 and I'm trying to complete an audit of the users we have within the company. What is the easiest way to determine how many registered users we have and when they last logged in. I am hoping there is some function/command one can run on the server to list all the users with their last login date.
Unfortunately not as such. You can write your own application within TM1 to trawl the }ClientProperties cube and store this kind of information. There are also some pre-built 3rd party commercial applications which already have this kind of thing pre-built.
Martin Ryan
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.1
Excel Version: 2010

Post by Martin Ryan »

Another option is to trawl through all the logs (maybe import them into an Access database or some such) and query where the Status field in the }ClientProperties cube changes. I've just tried to do this, however, in version 9.4 and 9.5 and it doesn't work - that Status field doesn't seem to get updated anymore. Perhaps I'm misremembering and it never did.

Do a search on the log though for "Status" or "Active" and you might get lucky in your version.

Martin
Please do not send technical questions via private message or email. Post them in the forum where you'll probably get a faster reply, and everyone can benefit from the answers.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

lotsaram wrote:
pmerrill wrote:We're currently running TM1 9.1 SP2 Update 3 and I'm trying to complete an audit of the users we have within the company. What is the easiest way to determine how many registered users we have and when they last logged in. I am hoping there is some function/command one can run on the server to list all the users with their last login date.
Unfortunately not as such. You can write your own application within TM1 to trawl the }ClientProperties cube and store this kind of information.
An example of such monitoring, though using Performance Monitor: http://forums.olapforums.com/viewtopic. ... 450&p=7849

Unfortunately this will only work for future usage, not past usage.
Martin Ryan wrote:Another option is to trawl through all the logs (maybe import them into an Access database or some such) and query where the Status field in the }ClientProperties cube changes. I've just tried to do this, however, in version 9.4 and 9.5 and it doesn't work - that Status field doesn't seem to get updated anymore. Perhaps I'm misremembering and it never did.
After they broke the functionality early in 9.4 (or was it 9.1? One of the two), they kindly added it back kinda-sorta provided that you set a config parameter. From the 9.4 MR1 Read Me:
ClientPropertiesSyncInterval Server Parameter

TM1 9.4 MR1 includes a new Tm1s.cfg server configuration parameter, ClientPropertiesSyncInterval.
This parameter lets you define the frequency (in seconds) at which client properties are updated in
the }ClientProperties control cube.

ClientPropertiesSyncInterval is not included as part of a standard the Tm1s.cfg file. You must edit
the Tm1s.cfg file and manually add the parameter.

Steps
1. Open the Tm1s.cgf file in a text editor.
2. Add the ClientPropertiesSyncInterval parameter to the file and set at the desired interval. For
example, to update properties in the }ClientProperties control cube every 300 seconds (five
minutes), add the line ClientPropertiesSyncInterval=300 to the Tm1s.cfg file.
3. Save and then close the Tm1s.cgf file.
ClientPropertiesSyncInterval is a dynamic configuration parameter. It is applied as soon as it
is added to the Tm1s.cfg file; there is no need to restart the TM1 server.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.