Ditch the Save button?

What should we do with the Save button when posting?

Poll ended at Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:02 pm

Nothing. It's fine.
18%
Move the Submit button so it's on the left and the Save button on the right.
9%
Get rid of the Save (and Load) button completely.
18%
Rename buttons to be clearer per Steve Rowe.
55%

Total votes: 11

Martin Ryan
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.1
Excel Version: 2010

Ditch the Save button?

Post by Martin Ryan »

I know this belongs in the General forum, but no-one goes there...

A couple of posters have said the the Save button is annoying. I've clicked it a couple of times myself and had to go digging for my post. I've also used it usefully for a long post to ensure I didn't lose it if I kicked the plug out of the wall, but it would've been no problem to use Notepad then copy it in.

Anyway, point of this post is to ask: do we get rid of it, keep it, or swap the Submit and Save buttons? As Ok and Cancel are usually in that order, I think that is the problem as much as anything - we're used to click the left button.

Vote in the poll above. Will stay a sticky for the week. Then languish for several weeks till I remember to action whatever we decide.

Martin
Please do not send technical questions via private message or email. Post them in the forum where you'll probably get a faster reply, and everyone can benefit from the answers.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
Steve Rowe
Site Admin
Version: TM1 v6,v7,v8,v9,v10,v11+PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

Re: Ditch the Save button?

Post by Steve Rowe »

I think it's useful functionality and don't think we would want to get rid of it totally.
Can we change what they are are called? I think that they both begin with S is a problem and the meaning of Save is a little ambiguous.

Change the order and make Post = Submit and Draft (or Save Draft) = Save, would make things very explicit I think.
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
Martin Ryan
Site Admin

Post by Martin Ryan »

Gah. Disaster. I added in Steve's suggestion and it created a whole new poll, deleting previous votes.

Please revote if you've already voted.

Martin
Please do not send technical questions via private message or email. Post them in the forum where you'll probably get a faster reply, and everyone can benefit from the answers.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
Andy Key
MVP
Version: 2.5 to PA
Excel Version: Lots

Post by Andy Key »

But I'm not sure which way I want to vote, can you add a button on this poll called Save Vote as Draft?

:D
Andy Key
Martin Ryan
Site Admin

Post by Martin Ryan »

Actually, you're allowed to change your vote.

So, yes!! :P (where's the raspberry smiley? And will "raspberry" make it across the atlantic?)
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
jim wood
Site Admin
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by jim wood »

I say get rid. I have clicked on save rather than submit on a couple of occasions,

Jim.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

Martin Ryan wrote:A couple of posters have said the the Save button is annoying. I've clicked it a couple of times myself and had to go digging for my post. I've also used it usefully for a long post to ensure I didn't lose it if I kicked the plug out of the wall, but it would've been no problem to use Notepad then copy it in.

Anyway, point of this post is to ask: do we get rid of it, keep it, or swap the Submit and Save buttons? As Ok and Cancel are usually in that order, I think that is the problem as much as anything - we're used to click the left button.
Mixed feelings. My initial feeling was dump it, since each time I've saved I've meant to send. Anything that's exceptionally long I tend to write in Word and copy and paste.

The path to access your drafts is less than obvious as well. I remember a member of another phpBB forum that I'm part of asking the question "I accidentally saved something as a draft but now I can't find it!", and I can't blame them one little bit. Accordingly I doubt that many people are using it, but if Steve R is then it's possible that others are as well. I'm therefore going to vote with Steve.

(But if the vote ends up being to dump them, I don't think I'll be too fussed...)
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
Eric
MVP
Version: 9.4
Excel Version: 2003

Post by Eric »

I don't think I'll be too fussed
I am going to inject fussed into my daily vocabulary to mess with everyone I know! :mrgreen:
Regards,
Eric
Blog: http://tm1-tipz.blogspot.com
Articles: http://www.google.com/reader/shared/use ... /label/TM1

Production: 32 bit 9.0 SP2, Windows 2000 Advanced Server. Web: 32 bit 9.0 SP2, Windows 2000 Server. Excel 2003
hansstip
Version: 9.1 SP 3
Excel Version: Excel 2007

Post by hansstip »

...and another fool who used Save in stead of Send... :D
A Question : where do I find my "draft" so I can send it ?
Or is it gone and I have to retype it ?
hansstip
Version: 9.1 SP 3
Excel Version: Excel 2007

Post by hansstip »

Never mind, I was using the Search but I have found the Load button :D
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

Martin Ryan wrote:Vote in the poll above. Will stay a sticky for the week. Then languish for several weeks till I remember to action whatever we decide.
It would appear that you remembered. :D

I think that works much better.

Although.... there is just one small bothersome thing for keyboard hounds. When you hit the [Tab] key to come out of the content editing text box you hit the [Preview] button rather than [Post]. You then have to hit [Tab] again to get back to [Post].

It's no biggie, though.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
Martin Ryan
Site Admin

Post by Martin Ryan »

Yes, several weeks became several months. My poor mother waits just as long for me to update her business website - though I finally got to that this weekend too. Anybody need some French grammar books?

I'll add the tab thing to my to do list Alan. It might get done this side of Christmas. :?

Martin
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
John Hobson
Site Admin
OLAP Product: Any
Version: 1.0
Excel Version: 2020

Post by John Hobson »

Anybody need some French grammar books?
Very useful for understanding the posts about Palo on Decideo :D
John Hobson
The Planning Factory