Can a Cube to Cube Drill through have multiple target views?

Herman Moller

Can a Cube to Cube Drill through have multiple target views?

Post by Herman Moller »

Hello,

I am trying to manipulate a cube to cube drill through subset.

I have a Source and Target in the same cube. I want to drill through from a consolidator to all its children.

I have been able to drill from a Consolidated Level to all the children using some manipulations in the prolog, my challenge at the moment is the source of the subset in the target view. I can not drill to a user specific MDX subset yet therefore I can only use a generic subset that is created in the Drill through process.

This will work fine if I am using the Excel interface, but if 2 users are doing drill through at the same time then they will have conflicting cube to cube drill through target views in the server explorer.

The way I can work around this is that I have a WhoamI MDX formula, therefore depending on the user a specific subset will be created.

I can create this subset but I can not push this subset through to my target source subset yet.

TIA

Herman

I have attached my Drill through Prolog Code.
ScottW
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: TM1 CX
Version: 9.5 9.4.1 9.1.4 9.0 8.4
Excel Version: 2003 2007

Re: Can a Cube to Cube Drill through have multiple target views?

Post by ScottW »

Gruess Herman,

Perhaps the reason noone has answered this question already is that it is a little confusingly written and difficult to know exactly what you are asking. From my understanding of the question I'll attempt an answer.

The drill through rule defines only the name(s) of the drill through process(es) to run when the drill-through is activated by the user. Eg.
['Target Area'] = S: 'My drill process';

The drill process will typically finish with either a ReturnViewHandle or ReturnSQLTableHandle function. But just as with any other TI process you can escape the narrow confines of the wizard and write your own code on the prolog to change or dynamically assign what gets returned to the user.

With a combination of time stamp and TM1User functions (TM1User only available from 9.1) you can make the subsets assigned to the view unique. As you have noted this is OK except where 2 users execute the drill at more or less the same time. To get around this you can also use the same technique to make the view name unique as well and pass the view (that you have created in the prolog) to the ReturnViewHandle as a variable.

If you have lots of users executing the drill then this could get a little messy with lots of additional public views and subsets created, so I would recommend using a naming convention (eg. start sub and vue names with "zdrill" or similar) and have a nightly clean-up chore to sift through all views and subsets to delete the clutter.
Cheers,
Scott W
Cubewise
www.cubewise.com
Lukas Meyer

Re: Can a Cube to Cube Drill through have multiple target views?

Post by Lukas Meyer »

ScottW wrote: With a combination of time stamp and TM1User functions (TM1User only available from 9.1) you can make the subsets assigned to the view unique.
Thank you scott! until now I was sure that TM1USER is only an Excel function - so (please don't laugh too hard - take a breath, swallow your food if you are eating (or drinking)) I always used a parameter in my processes which required the user - a parameter populated through TM1USER from excel...