Excel Crash

ABOOD
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 9.1
Excel Version: 2003

Excel Crash

Post by ABOOD »

Hi

A quick issue noticed with TM1 , when the explorer window and one of the view are open and i do close the whole excel (exit from excel) the whole excel crash and needs an end task to close it

Any one can help with this error

Thanks

{ADMIN NOTE: Moved to the main forum as this is not (yet) a proved bug}
laenen
Version: 9.5

Re: Excel Crash

Post by laenen »

ABOOD wrote:Hi

A quick issue noticed with TM1 , when the explorer window and one of the view are open and i do close the whole excel (exit from excel) the whole excel crash and needs an end task to close it
Thanks
Can you explain more? What version are you on? Is the view and the explorer open when you close excel? How do you close excel? ie. the cross at the top corner, the task manager, etc? Does it happen *every time* or just certain times?

regards,
laenen
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

ABOOD wrote: A quick issue noticed with TM1 , when the explorer window and one of the view are open and i do close the whole excel (exit from excel) the whole excel crash and needs an end task to close it

Thanks

{ADMIN NOTE: Moved to the main forum as this is not (yet) a proved bug}
In addition to laenen's questions, are you sure that you haven't modified the view? If you have it's possible that there's a dialog box in the background asking whether you want to save the modified view. Excel won't exit until the dialog is cleared. (And by "crash" I assume that you mean "hang" since if it crashed you'd hardly have to end the task; it would already be ended.) Next time it happens you may want to [Alt]+[Tab] through your windows to get back to Server Explorer to see whether that's the case.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
ABOOD

Post by ABOOD »

Hey ,,

Thanks for your reply , its Excel 2003 , TM 9.1 , and am sure no outstanding dialogues when am closing it

am closing excel from the cross at the top

Hope this will help :)
ABOOD

Post by ABOOD »

Hey Guys ,,,

Any update ,, thanks :)
laenen
Version: 9.5

Post by laenen »

There were a lot of questions that you did not answer.

For example (this is only a subset!) Does it happen to everyone? Does it happen to everyone? What are you doing? etc.

If Excel is closing then how do you know it crashes? Do you get an Excel crash report dialog? Take some screens shots but barring that you have not really given a lot of info in assisting you.

laenen
ABOOD

Post by ABOOD »

]Hey sorry for being late in this , again please be advised of the following

Again what i was doing
- Open the TM1 Explorer
- Open one of the view screens
- Closed excel from the cross on the top
- Excel Frozen
- TM1 Windows still active
- Only way to close excel is to End Task

Screens below showing the issue
Windows opened before clicking on cross to close excel
Windows opened before clicking on cross to close excel
tm1-1.JPG (223.09 KiB) Viewed 13131 times
Excel Frozen , TM1 Still active
Excel Frozen , TM1 Still active
tm1-tmaactiveexcel frozen.JPG (197.46 KiB) Viewed 13131 times
ABOOD

Post by ABOOD »

Hey there , Any idea what's the issue above , appreciate your help
ABOOD

Post by ABOOD »

Any update from anyone on the above issue ?1
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Post by tomok »

Assuming you are a licensed user of TM1 have you bothered calling IBM? More than likely the reason you aren't getting any responses here is that no one has the answer and this is a purely voluntary support system. IBM, on the other hand, has a legal obligation to give you assistance if you are a licensed user of their product. It's probably time to call IBM Support. Good luck.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
Steve Rowe
Site Admin
Version: TM1 v6,v7,v8,v9,v10,v11+PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

Post by Steve Rowe »

Hi,

Are you 100% sure there are no Yes / N dialog boxes open? i.e Do you want to save this view? Do want to save changes to Workbook?

Is it possible for you to open Excel with [Edit] out [/Edit] the TNT and Adobe add-ins, if so do you still get the same behaviour?

HTH
EDIT Thanks Neil, managed to miss a vital word out from my psot! :oops:
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
Neil Watson
Version: 6 and 2.5 to 10.2.2
Excel Version: 2007 2010

Post by Neil Watson »

Hey there,

Following on from Steve's reply, you have at least 3 other add-ins loaded at the same time as TM1.
Livelink, TNT, Adobe PDF, it is quite probable that one of these is causing a conflict.
As suggested cn you disable them (unload) one at a time and see if this helps.

Cheers
Neil
aking
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: 10.2.2
Excel Version: 365

Post by aking »

I can confirm a similar issue on my machine.
TM1 Server 9.5 (Build: 9.5.00000.65077)
Excel Version: 2007 (12.0.6535.5002) SP2 MSO (12.0.6535.5002)

I start a server on my Local machine (NOT a local server, I have a shortcut that starts the service, and the data directory is stored locally)
Open Excel
Connect to the Server
Open the Explorer
Open a Cube
Close Excel
The System Hangs
When I [alt] + [Tab] through my windows, I have only Perspectives, Excel, and the TM1S window (And Firefox currently). Must use Task Manager to end the program

The only Add-ins I have going are the TM1 and Developer add ins.

My simple work around has just been to make sure I close perspectives before I close excel.
jorelb
OLAP Product: IBM Planning Analytics Cloud
Version: 2.0.9 IF (2)
Excel Version: 2016

Post by jorelb »

I am confused because we also experience the same scenario in our shop. However, the way I rationalize the event is that Perspectives is loaded as an Excel Add in and therefore Excel needs to be running for perspectives to run. If excel is not needed then user should use Architect. Am I missing something? Should a user be able to use Perspectives (not Architect) without Excel?

Thanks,
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Post by Alan Kirk »

jorelb wrote:I am confused because we also experience the same scenario in our shop. However, the way I rationalize the event is that Perspectives is loaded as an Excel Add in and therefore Excel needs to be running for perspectives to run. If excel is not needed then user should use Architect. Am I missing something? Should a user be able to use Perspectives (not Architect) without Excel?
That would be impossible. Architect is an executable (tm1a.exe). Perspectives, on the other hand, is a pair of Excel add-ins (tm1p.xla and tm1.xla) along with, admittedly, some libraries. However you can't run it without the Excel front end because you'd have nothing to call the aforementioned libraries. (Short of using the API to create your own interface, but that ain't Perspectives either.)

I'm not sure what the original issue is, but I don't think it's a specific TM1 bug (or it would be encountered far more often). I've never encountered it previously in 8.2.12 or 9.0 SP3, or any other version that I can recall having tested. I just did the same thing in 9.5.1 as well, but didn't have a problem. That having been said the problems were reported in 9.1 and 9.5.0, and I don't have copies of either of those running.
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
jorelb
OLAP Product: IBM Planning Analytics Cloud
Version: 2.0.9 IF (2)
Excel Version: 2016

Post by jorelb »

Alan Kirk wrote: Perspectives, on the other hand, is a pair of Excel add-ins (tm1p.xla and tm1.xla) along with, admittedly, some libraries. However you can't run it without the Excel front end because you'd have nothing to call the aforementioned libraries. (Short of using the API to create your own interface, but that ain't Perspectives either.)
Alan, to confirm, it is expected that if Perspective is kept open and Excel is closed, Perspective will crash. If that is the case, then what we are experiencing in our shop is normal.

Thank you.
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Post by Alan Kirk »

jorelb wrote:
Alan Kirk wrote: Perspectives, on the other hand, is a pair of Excel add-ins (tm1p.xla and tm1.xla) along with, admittedly, some libraries. However you can't run it without the Excel front end because you'd have nothing to call the aforementioned libraries. (Short of using the API to create your own interface, but that ain't Perspectives either.)
Alan, to confirm, it is expected that if Perspective is kept open and Excel is closed, Perspective will crash. If that is the case, then what we are experiencing in our shop is normal.
No, what I'm saying is that it's NOT normal. In my experience (and I'd suggest many others or there would be a lot more people saying that they've experienced a problem) if you close Excel then it'll just shut down the Perspectives window with it... unless there's an open dialog in the Perspectives window that needs attending to first. That's the only time I've ever encountered a hang in Excel closing, only to find a "Do you want to save View 1" dialog sitting there when I [Alt] + [Tab] to Perspectives.
-----------
jydell
OLAP Product: tm1
Version: TM1 Build Number: 11.8.01300.
Excel Version: Version 2401

Post by jydell »

Hi

We had the same issue on 1 PC in our company (only 1 out of many upgrades). The issue arose when we upgraded from Excel 2003 to Excel 2007. The issue could not be resolved by re-installing, however when we deleted Excel entirely and loaded Excel 2007 from scratch (plus addins etc) the issue went away.

I reccomend delete Excel and re-install, as my theory is something corrupted in the upgrade / install process.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Jeremy
presi007
Version: 9.5.2
Excel Version: 2010

Post by presi007 »

Hi,

i find this article very interesting.
I also have a Excel crash cause by an memory oversize but i don´t really know what´s the problem, if it´s a TI buton or something else.
TM1 9.4.1 and Excel 2007 on windows server 2003
Did someone tell me how to solve the problem?
Best regards.