Who remember the good old times...

RobertMilli

Who remember the good old times...

Post by RobertMilli »

Just for fun, who will be able to tell the exact version and year on this Sinper TM/1 version ?
I'll give the answer tomorrow morning my (Paris/France) time ;-)
Regards,
Bob
Attachments
TM1 - Good old time 2 of 2.jpg
TM1 - Good old time 2 of 2.jpg (217.07 KiB) Viewed 5399 times
TM1 - Good old time 1 of 2.jpg
TM1 - Good old time 1 of 2.jpg (96.92 KiB) Viewed 5399 times
John Hobson
Site Admin
OLAP Product: Any
Version: 1.0
Excel Version: 2020

Re: Who remember the good old times...

Post by John Hobson »

TM1 2.5 in 1996 would be my guess

I still have a pristine, shrink wrapped version of the Perspectives Manual in a file in a slip case with the software on 3.5" floppy in the shrink wrap if anyone is feeling nostalgic for some simple, stable OLAP software and wants to buy it off me :D
John Hobson
The Planning Factory
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

John Hobson wrote:TM1 2.5 in 1996 would be my guess
We think alike, I see. I recognise the cover art, which was still used around the time I first got into TM1 around a decade (good gods, has it been already?!) ago. That illustration would probably have cost them a penny or two to get done unless they had a graphic artist on staff (and thinking back to the screenshots in the old 2.5 / 6.0 manuals, that seems unlikely) so it doesn't surprise me that it would be retained for a while. However I thought that Applix had taken over by the time 2.5 came out. I could be wrong about that though.

My best guess can only place it between 1992 (the release of Excel 4.0, mentioned in the ad) and October 1996 (when Applix acquired Sinper).
John Hobson wrote: I still have a pristine, shrink wrapped version of the Perspectives Manual in a file in a slip case with the software on 3.5" floppy in the shrink wrap if anyone is feeling nostalgic for some simple, stable OLAP software and wants to buy it off me :D
Yeah, I had the old 6.0 manual (but not the disks) until a couple of years back, though having been inherited from prior admins it was less than pristine. However at some point in life, one has to come to a realisation that all that junk that one was retaining to sell on e-Bay for a fortune... really IS just obsolete junk. At this point one looks around one's study, says "screw it", and loads up the bins with once-faithful hardware and software. :(
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
John Hobson
Site Admin
OLAP Product: Any
Version: 1.0
Excel Version: 2020

Post by John Hobson »

However at some point in life, one has to come to a realisation that all that junk that one was retaining to sell on e-Bay for a fortune... really IS just obsolete junk
How can you say that? My boxed Sinclair 48k Spectrum would fetch nearly 50 squid on Ebay - and that's nearly a third of what I paid for it in 1985! :lol:

You wait though - when it's the last one left on earth it'll be worth more than my entire pension fund!

Er, hang on, since this week it already is. :roll:
John Hobson
The Planning Factory
Howard Taylor

Post by Howard Taylor »

1992, but could be corrected on this. Was DOS before then using the F1-F10 keys. TM1 for those who do not know stood for "Table Manager" although could be corrected on this.
Mike L

Post by Mike L »

The picture is of the version 2 box, which was used for releases 2.0 through 2.5.F.

"To run TM/1 Perspectives, your computer must be equipped with a hard drive!"
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

Mike L wrote:The picture is of the version 2 box, which was used for releases 2.0 through 2.5.F.
Ah, but which YEAR(s)? That seems to be the big mystery. I notice that Bob didn't post the answer; maybe he's been kidnapped by Iboglix agents to keep him silent on that point. :D
Mike L wrote:"To run TM/1 Perspectives, your computer must be equipped with a hard drive!"
I had a hard drive back in (the earlier parts) of those days. An A590 for my Amiga 500, all 20 meg of it.

They never did release TM1 for the Amiga, though.

(Fond as I was of the Amiga in its day, I think I still prefer the 1.5 terabytes of storage on my current home system...)
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.