Questions about Perspectives & Active Forms

ThomasCS
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: Since 9.5
Excel Version: All

Questions about Perspectives & Active Forms

Post by ThomasCS »

After developing with Perspectives for some weeks I've got some questions.

1 - When adding a new Active form to a sheet, you have to give up a name for it, Default is "ARPT1". Does this need to be unique? Why is it used? Except for one or two references in some formula's.

2 - I've noticed differences when starting Perspectives. When I first start Perspectives (the excel plugin) and than open a excel sheet with active form. I've noticed serieus delay when trying to use a Picklist (It seems to calculate a lot, building the piclist) and VBA code is seriously slower (especially while looping).But when I first start with the excel sheet and than activate the plugin, things are working normally. Picklist are instantly usable and the same VBA code is run in a split second. Is this the result of a wrong install or incorrect usage of the software?

3 - When I want to lock the page to protect certain fields. It seems that picklists are no longer usable, they give some vba error and stop working. Is there a fix for this?

4 - This is more a general question. It seems I can log in without having to care if the profilename is uppercase or not. TM1 accepts Admin, admin, ADMIN as the same profile. Is there a way to make this more strict? It could lead to some problems in my VBA. I can work around this but a more strict login procedure would be preferred.
rkaif
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: IBM Cognos TM1
Version: 9.1 or later
Excel Version: 2003 or later

Re: Questions about Perspectives & Active Forms

Post by rkaif »

1 - When adding a new Active form to a sheet, you have to give up a name for it, Default is "ARPT1". Does this need to be unique? Why is it used? Except for one or two references in some formula's.
ARPT# are used when you have Dependent Sections (Active Forms) in your spreadsheet
2 - I've noticed differences when starting Perspectives. When I first start Perspectives (the excel plugin) and than open a excel sheet with active form. I've noticed serieus delay when trying to use a Picklist (It seems to calculate a lot, building the piclist) and VBA code is seriously slower (especially while looping).But when I first start with the excel sheet and than activate the plugin, things are working normally. Picklist are instantly usable and the same VBA code is run in a split second. Is this the result of a wrong install or incorrect usage of the software?
Try changing the Workbook calculation option in Excel from Automatic to Manual
3 - When I want to lock the page to protect certain fields. It seems that picklists are no longer usable, they give some vba error and stop working. Is there a fix for this?
Instead of using the Excel protection put your DBRW formula into some Excel formula e.g. =SUM(DBRW(x,y,z...))
4 - This is more a general question. It seems I can log in without having to care if the profilename is uppercase or not. TM1 accepts Admin, admin, ADMIN as the same profile. Is there a way to make this more strict? It could lead to some problems in my VBA. I can work around this but a more strict login procedure would be preferred.
TM1 Usernames are not case sensitive.
Cheers!
Rizwan Kaif
ThomasCS
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: Since 9.5
Excel Version: All

Post by ThomasCS »

@rkaif: Thank you for the responses :) I'll try your tips.
rkaif
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: IBM Cognos TM1
Version: 9.1 or later
Excel Version: 2003 or later

Post by rkaif »

rkaif wrote:
Instead of using the Excel protection put your DBRW formula into some Excel formula e.g. =SUM(DBRW(x,y,z...))
This is a known issue with Excel 2003 and 2007. This is a limitation imposed on TM1 Perspectives by Microsoft Excel. This is not a TM1 limitation or defect. Picklist on Protected sheets will work fine with Excel 2010.
Cheers!
Rizwan Kaif