TM1 View Integration

damientaylor

TM1 View Integration

Post by damientaylor »

Hi Guys,

I am new to TM1 and I would like to see if I can populate our Foreign Exchange Rates TM1 View directly from our FX Rates database. I can see how dimensions can be updated by using an SQL queries, but is it possible to update a view from SQL?

The dimensions are "currency" and "time". The rates for each currency and time are entered manually into the view each month. My question is, where is the view data stored? And can it be automatically updated via SQL or Excel or some other means instead of manually keying it each time?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
John Hobson
Site Admin
OLAP Product: Any
Version: 1.0
Excel Version: 2020

Re: TM1 View Integration

Post by John Hobson »

Hi Damien

It's not the view you would update but a cube from which the view extracts its data.

You may have a cube called something like fxrates.cub which has 2 dimensions, currency and time.

You could to use turbo integrator to automaticaly update this cube using an SQL query.

The update can then be scheduled in a chore or kicked of manually as you choose.

Hope this helps

John
John Hobson
The Planning Factory
Eric
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 9.4
Excel Version: 2003

Post by Eric »

Not sure I follow, but you can have dynamic subsets based off of attributes and views based on the subsets. Then have a TI update the attributes and the view will "update"

Example

in a Day Dim
Day Current Day (Attribute)
3 TRUE
etc

IF the default subset is based on current day attribute = True and you have a TI change the attribute every day the subset will change along with the view.
Regards,
Eric
Blog: http://tm1-tipz.blogspot.com
Articles: http://www.google.com/reader/shared/use ... /label/TM1

Production: 32 bit 9.0 SP2, Windows 2000 Advanced Server. Web: 32 bit 9.0 SP2, Windows 2000 Server. Excel 2003
Martin Ryan
Site Admin
Version: 10.1
Excel Version: 2010

Post by Martin Ryan »

I think John is closer to your mark than Eric.

To import data into TM1 you have a couple of options, but Turbo Integrator (TI) is by far the best one for data that exists in other systems already. It can retrieve data from any ODBC database including SQL and Access. It can also retrieve data from ascii files and other TM1 cubes.

As John rightly points out, the source of the data in your view is the cube. Have a look at the key concepts page on Olapedia: http://wiki.olapforums.com/index.php?title=Key_concepts as it may help you understand some OLAP concepts. If anything needs more clarification then someone here on the forum will no doubt have some good advice.

Cheers,
Martin
Please do not send technical questions via private message or email. Post them in the forum where you'll probably get a faster reply, and everyone can benefit from the answers.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
David Usherwood
Site Admin

Post by David Usherwood »

Small point, Martin...
Think Damien wants to read from SQL into TM1. So the cube is the destination.
Martin Ryan
Site Admin
Version: 10.1
Excel Version: 2010

Post by Martin Ryan »

David Usherwood wrote:Small point, Martin...
Think Damien wants to read from SQL into TM1. So the cube is the destination.
Yes, but I think that's where the confusion is coming from. Damien's got his terminology a bit muddled. He's asking how to populate a view. You don't populate a view, you populate a cube. The source for a view is the cube. But the source data for the cube is the SQL.

Martin
Please do not send technical questions via private message or email. Post them in the forum where you'll probably get a faster reply, and everyone can benefit from the answers.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
Mike L

Post by Mike L »

Another possible source of confusion is that in some OLAP products, particularly ROLAP, a "cube" is not so much a tangible data object as it is a logical view of the data, much like a stored view in MS SQL.

My advice to Damien is this: What you are trying to do is a common, even elementary, process in TM1. Take a look at the TurboIntegrator manual and if it look daunting, as it often does to newcomers, see if you can arrange to take some training. (Yes, it can also be done in Excel, but if the data is already in a queryable database then TurboIntegrator is the way to go.)
damientaylor

Post by damientaylor »

You are guys are great! Thanks for your replys... I now understand the concepts and have tried them out and I am now able to do what needs to be done.

Thanks again!! This forum is wonderful.