Bugzilla and improvements

Would a bug/issues tracker be better as a forum or Bugzilla type software, separate from the forum?

Poll ended at Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:26 am

Forum
100%
Bugzilla
No votes

Total votes: 8

Martin Ryan
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.1
Excel Version: 2010

Bugzilla and improvements

Post by Martin Ryan »

bihints.com wrote:Maybe Martin could setup a bugzilla on tm1bugs.olapforums.com or similar URL in order to centralise all bugs reports.
That could help everyone to follow bugs/issues for any versions.
Actually I was discussing this with the administrators and just thinking about how to go about it. I was initially thinking of setting up two new forums, one for bug tracking and one for suggestions for enhancements to TM1 that we could discuss as a group then perhaps make a submission to Cognos with a bunch of names attached.

I think a forum for the enhancements would be the most suitable medium. As for the issues register/bug tracking solution I am open to discussion on whether Bugzilla would be better than a forum.

I think a forum will probably be better simply because it's going to get way more traffic. As Olapedia has shown, if you don't have a reason to go there everyday, the site may become a cobweb. That said, Bugzilla is clearly a better tool for tracking bugs/issues - it may also be better at forcing people to keep bugs in one place and discussions in another.

I'll put a poll in, but I'd also like to see some discussion/reasons for votes. Poll closes Saturday 13 September.

You can learn more about Bugzilla here: http://www.bugzilla.org/about/
Last edited by Martin Ryan on Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please do not send technical questions via private message or email. Post them in the forum where you'll probably get a faster reply, and everyone can benefit from the answers.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
Steve Rowe
Site Admin
Version: TM1 v6,v7,v8,v9,v10,v11+PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

Re: Bugzilla and improvements

Post by Steve Rowe »

I've no experience of Bugzilla so not sure I'm qualified to comment or vote but I have anyway!
My preference would be for a moderated forum to ensure that we get full and complete details of issues and enhancements. If we keep it an open and free forum then we are going to have a lot of noise and potential inaccurate and misleading posts..
Cheers
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

I think that something like Bugzilla would indeed lead to "the cobweb factor"; far better IMHO to keep it consistent (in visibility terms) with the general forum.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
Olivier
Community Contributor
Version: Tm1 10.2.2fp4 -> 2.09
Excel Version: Excel 2013 - 2019

Post by Olivier »

Tracking the bugs by version and giving a clear display of the resolutions should be an iboglix job and a part of customer services vices ices ces es e (Echo)

I am quite confortable with the forum...
Thanks for asking .)
HTH
Olivier
Andy Key
MVP
Version: 2.5 to PA
Excel Version: Lots

Post by Andy Key »

My vote is for extending the current forum structure.

Split the new bits out from the existing discussion area and keep a formal structure to the bug reporting to avoid it becoming just another discussion area.
Andy Key
bihints.com
Version: 9.0.3
Excel Version: 2003

Post by bihints.com »

right, bugzilla might be overkill. I agree let's keep it simple.
Martin Ryan
Site Admin
Version: 10.1
Excel Version: 2010

Post by Martin Ryan »

Given that we seem to be unanimous I've created the two forums already. I'll still leave the poll open anyway.
Please do not send technical questions via private message or email. Post them in the forum where you'll probably get a faster reply, and everyone can benefit from the answers.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
bihints.com
Version: 9.0.3
Excel Version: 2003

Post by bihints.com »

How about an extra moderated forum to reference all "stealth" TM1 UxHFx releases with their changelogs?