To add siblings or childern to existing elements

kiamkhai

To add siblings or childern to existing elements

Post by kiamkhai »

Dear TM1 Developers

I am using TM1 version 9.1 SP3. I notice from the developer guide section 2.27, we can either add siblings or children to existing elements. Unfortunately I am unable to add siblings to existing elements but able to add child to existing elements. For the drop down menu after clicking the Edit menu from the Dimension editor, unable to find ' Insert Siblings". Hope to get assistance from those who have use this function before.

2. What is the different between add sibling and add child to exiting elements?

Thanks.

Cheers :lol:
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Re: To add siblings or childern to existing elements

Post by Alan Kirk »

kiamkhai wrote:Dear TM1 Developers

I am using TM1 version 9.1 SP3. I notice from the developer guide section 2.27, we can either add siblings or children to existing elements. Unfortunately I am unable to add siblings to existing elements but able to add child to existing elements. For the drop down menu after clicking the Edit menu from the Dimension editor, unable to find ' Insert Siblings". Hope to get assistance from those who have use this function before.

2. What is the different between add sibling and add child to exiting elements?
The documentation doesn't explain what a sibling is. Sigh, what a frappin' surprise. :roll:

OK, it's like this:
- If you have NOTHING selected in the dimension editor, the menu item will read "Insert Element". That will allow you to put in a new element which can be either an N level, S level or a C level, though in the case of a new C element it'll have no children at the time that you create it.
- If you have a CONSOLIDATION selected, the option will be "Insert Element". This option functions in the same way as the one above.
- ALSO, if you have a consolidation selected, you can choose to insert a child; that is, a new element which will roll up into that consolidation.
- If you have an N LEVEL element selected, AND that N level element is part of a consolidation, THEN you can insert a sibling. A sibling is another term describing a brother or sister. In this case, it will be a new element which has the same parent.

Suppose that you have a department dimension with Dept 101 and Dept 102 which roll up to the consolidated element Total Departments.

Suppose also that you want to add a new Dept 103, and you want it to add into Total Departments as well.

You can do it in one of two ways:
- Select Total Departments and select Add Child to add dept 103 underneath it; OR
- Select either Dept 101 or Dept 102, and select Add Sibling to add dept 103 to the same parent consolidation. In other words, dept 103 is like a brother or sister to 101 and 102; it shares the same parent (Total Departments) and is at the same level as them.

Remember; you can only add a sibling if you have a child of a consolidation element selected. At any other time, the Insert Sibling option won't be available.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Re: To add siblings or childern to existing elements

Post by Alan Kirk »

Alan Kirk wrote: - If you have an N LEVEL element selected, AND that N level element is part of a consolidation, THEN you can insert a sibling. A sibling is another term describing a brother or sister. In this case, it will be a new element which has the same parent.
Qualification, which I meant to add at the end of that paragraph; this will also work if you select a Consolidation which is a child of another consolidation. The only requirement for creating a sibling is that the selected element be a child. However more commonly it's likely to be an N level element.

I also forgot the most important part; use an .xdi rather than the dimension editor and you don't have to worry about this garbage. :D
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.