Upload data from multiple files, Data Source set to None

bhinbest

Upload data from multiple files, Data Source set to None

Post by bhinbest »

Hello All,

I've been using TM1 for approx. 3-4 years and am quite capable in most regards. However, I have only 1 years experience accessing data from any source other than an ASCII file. As such I've stumbled accross an issue I'm at a complete loss as to how to resolve.

I'm trying to create a process that will retrieve Metadata and Data from a file that has been identified by another process and passed to this process in the Prolog tab under the Advanced tab. I've already created a parameter named 'Filename' in the Parameter Tab in the Advanced Tab.

In my Data Source tab I've set my Datasource Type to None.

The problem is that I've never accessed data this way before and don't know what codes and on which tabs should they appear, to identify the variables and define them as either elements, other, ignore, or data from the columns in my source file(s) and secondly to define them as numeric, or string and update the dimensions and/or upload data to the cube.

I've always used either ODBC, ASCII, TM1 datasource types which are much more straight forward and user friendly to identify columns and retrieve my metadata and data.

Can anyone help my poor unfortunate soul?? Any assistance is GREATLY appreciated!!
Steve Rowe
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: TM1 v6,v7,v8,v9,v10,v11+PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

Re: Upload data from multiple files, Data Source set to None

Post by Steve Rowe »

When you build the TI you should point it at a sample of the file that you want to load in exactly the way you do normally. If you set the dataousrce to none you will not get access to the data and metadata tabs.

Once you your TI is running as per normal or as you want it at least, you can generalise it using the filename parameter.

Once you have populated the filename parameter you can need to assign it to the Local Variable
DataSourceNameForServer

A full list of the local variables can be found in the reference section for TI in the main help file.

Hopefully this is enought to point you in the right direction.

Cheers,
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
Tilo

Re: Upload data from multiple files, Data Source set to None

Post by Tilo »

Hello,

is there some code as example for a single TI-process that points to several (maybe 2 for me for the beginning) txt-/csv-files?
At the moment I cannot find further information for the usage of that datasourcename-Parameter that gives me enough help.

Thanks.
Tilo