Turbo Irritator at it again

Steve Vincent
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2.2 FP1
Excel Version: 2010

Turbo Irritator at it again

Post by Steve Vincent »

I can't figure out why this is happening, but it's killing my server and i want it to stop :roll:

Simple enough, a TI to copy from cube to cube. Dimension structures are identical as the idea is to archive the data in to a new cube, which will later allow us to move it offline. The TI, as i have done so before, creates subsets and views, works on them then deletes them when it's done. The problem is with the view creation, its corrupting and i don't know why.

PROLOG

Code: Select all

### PARAMETERS - USER DEFINED ###
Cube = 'Actuals';
Dim1 = TABDIM ( Cube , 1 );
Dim2 = TABDIM ( Cube , 2 );
Dim3 = TABDIM ( Cube , 3 );
Dim4 = TABDIM ( Cube , 4 );
Dim5 = TABDIM ( Cube , 5 );
Dim6 = TABDIM ( Cube , 6 );
Dim7 = TABDIM ( Cube , 7 );
Dim8 = TABDIM ( Cube , 8 );

### PARAMETERS - SYSTEM DEFINED ###
ViewName = 'zTemp';
CubeSetLogChanges(Cube, 0);

### CREATE TEMP VIEW ###
IF ( ViewExists ( Cube , ViewName ) = 1);
    ViewDestroy ( Cube , ViewName );
ENDIF;
ViewCreate ( Cube, ViewName );
ViewExtractSkipZeroesSet ( Cube , ViewName , 1 );
ViewExtractSkipCalcsSet ( Cube , ViewName , 0 );

### CREATE TEMP SUBSETS ###
IF ( SubsetExists ( Dim1 , 'zTemp' ) = 1);
    SubsetDestroy ( Dim1, 'zTemp' );
EndIF;
IF ( SubsetExists ( Dim2 , 'zTemp' ) = 1);
    SubsetDestroy ( Dim2, 'zTemp' );
EndIF;
IF ( SubsetExists ( Dim3 , 'zTemp' ) = 1);
    SubsetDestroy ( Dim3, 'zTemp' );
EndIF;
IF ( SubsetExists ( Dim4 , 'zTemp' ) = 1);
    SubsetDestroy ( Dim4, 'zTemp' );
EndIF;
IF ( SubsetExists ( Dim5 , 'zTemp' ) = 1);
    SubsetDestroy ( Dim5, 'zTemp' );
EndIF;
IF ( SubsetExists ( Dim6 , 'zTemp' ) = 1);
    SubsetDestroy ( Dim6, 'zTemp' );
EndIF;
IF ( SubsetExists ( Dim7 , 'zTemp' ) = 1);
    SubsetDestroy ( Dim7, 'zTemp' );
EndIF;
IF ( SubsetExists ( Dim8 , 'zTemp' ) = 1);
    SubsetDestroy ( Dim8, 'zTemp' );
EndIF;

SubsetCreatebyMDX('zTemp', '{TM1SUBSETALL( [' | Dim1 | '] )}' );
SubsetCreatebyMDX('zTemp', '{TM1SUBSETALL( [' | Dim2 | '] )}' );
SubsetCreatebyMDX('zTemp', '{TM1SUBSETALL( [' | Dim3 | '] )}' );
SubsetCreatebyMDX('zTemp', '{TM1SUBSETALL( [' | Dim4 | '] )}' );
SubsetCreatebyMDX('zTemp', '{TM1SUBSETALL( [' | Dim5 | '] )}' );
SubsetCreatebyMDX('zTemp', '{TM1SUBSETALL( [' | Dim6 | '] )}' );
SubsetCreatebyMDX('zTemp', '{TM1SUBSETALL( [' | Dim7 | '] )}' );
SubsetCreatebyMDX('zTemp', '{TM1SUBSETALL( [' | Dim8 | '] )}' );

### ASSIGN TEMP SUBSETS TO TEMP VIEW ###
ViewSubsetAssign ( Cube , ViewName , Dim1, 'zTemp' );
ViewSubsetAssign ( Cube , ViewName , Dim2, 'zTemp' );
ViewSubsetAssign ( Cube , ViewName , Dim3, 'zTemp' );
ViewSubsetAssign ( Cube , ViewName , Dim4, 'zTemp' );
ViewSubsetAssign ( Cube , ViewName , Dim5, 'zTemp' );
ViewSubsetAssign ( Cube , ViewName , Dim6, 'zTemp' );
ViewSubsetAssign ( Cube , ViewName , Dim7, 'zTemp' );
ViewSubsetAssign ( Cube , ViewName , Dim8, 'zTemp' );
The TI has the "zTemp" cube view as it's datasource. If i asciioutput the 8 dim names at the end of this, they are all correct and in the right order. Problem is TI swaps dim 1 and dim 4 when it views them as a datasource. If i write a TI to just look at the cube view, the order is incorrect in the preview and this results in the TI throwing a hissy fit and never completing, eventually consuming all the RAM and the service crashes.

Has anyone got an idea why the hell TI would swap these 2 dims around? Even when you check the view via "Export as ascii" in server explorer, it all looks right...
TI Datasource
TI Datasource
Err01_TIdatasource.gif (142.29 KiB) Viewed 9163 times
Cube Structure
Cube Structure
Err02_CubeStructure.gif (11.57 KiB) Viewed 9164 times
View Extract
View Extract
Err03_ViewExtract.gif (66.95 KiB) Viewed 9163 times
If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator.
Production: Planning Analytics 64 bit 2.0.5, Windows 2016 Server. Excel 2016, IE11 for t'internet
Michel Zijlema
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1, PALO
Version: both 2.5 and higher
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010

Re: Turbo Irritator at it again

Post by Michel Zijlema »

Hi Steve,

I guessing that the source view was created manually (and in a slightly different way) when you defined the process. Have you tried to force a re-read of the variables tab using a generated view - if I'm right the order of the variables will be different.

Michel
Renaud MARTIAL

Post by Renaud MARTIAL »

Hello,

I suggest you to re-create the process from scratch.
I've seen this behavior 2 or 3 times, and it happened when I changed the order of columns in the source data (file or cube)

BtW, what version of TM1 are you working on ?

Regards,

Renaud.
Steve Vincent
Site Admin

Post by Steve Vincent »

Neither forcing a re-read or creating it from scratch work. When you look at the .VUE file on the server you can see the dims are in the wrong order, it's simply creating a view incorrectly when using the ViewCreate statement. I've logged it with Cognos and have had a call about it already, it is behaviour known to them and it was believed to be fixed, we're just awaiting some details back from engineering as to which release that happened to be in.

I'm already using this code on the production server and it works fine, albeit those cubes are only 2d in size. I'm using 9.0 SP3 but the prod is using build 173 and dev is on 182. It does exactly the same for this cube in prod so if it wasn't fixed until 9.1 i'm stuffed as we've no hope of changing to another point release. According to Insight there are 2 other builds after 182, so i'm hoping one of them included this fix.
If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator.
Production: Planning Analytics 64 bit 2.0.5, Windows 2016 Server. Excel 2016, IE11 for t'internet
Steve Rowe
Site Admin
Version: TM1 v6,v7,v8,v9,v10,v11+PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

Post by Steve Rowe »

Has the natural cube dimension order been reordered? This can cause problems between front and back end views fo the same thing?
Cheers,
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
Steve Vincent
Site Admin

Post by Steve Vincent »

«insert expletive here»
Why didn't i think of that before? You are spot on Steve, the order the TI is building the view is the reordered cube order, not it's physical cube order. It's plain as day in the attached screenshot.
Cube Reorder Screen
Cube Reorder Screen
Err04_CubeReorder.gif (58 KiB) Viewed 9058 times
That's the bug, now all i have to do is hope its fixed somewhere in 9.0. I'll try the TI with the dims affected in the other order but i'm not convinced it'll work, as i'm guessing the reason it was sapping all the RAM was trying to work out the physical/virtual orders of the cube as it was loading the numbers.

Thanks for that, much appreciated! :D
Steve Rowe
Site Admin

Post by Steve Rowe »

Unless your really up against your memory limits I would have thought you could put a cube of that size back in it's original order?
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
Steve Vincent
Site Admin

Post by Steve Vincent »

yeah that is an option, but when the original developer created the models he didn't understand the dim sizes and they way they would grow. I think when i reordered it i saved around 60% in RAM, mainly due to the 22,000+ entries in the employees dim. i should have some time today to check in to it some more, will try the TI with swapped dims first and if not reorder it back to its original state.

The real issue tho is this is just one of 5 or 6 cubes i want to do this on, one of those is 12 dims big and the reorder on that is vital... :(
Steve Rowe
Site Admin

Post by Steve Rowe »

At the risk of side tracking this topic into rant about TM1 QA which we already know is (was?) really very bad. I find it shocking that these issues keep coming back.

Dimension reordering has been around for ages
Views have been around for ages
They have worked together quite happily for a long time.

Then in a certain release of 9.0 they stop working. I just can't my head around how this happens. I could kinda understand it 9.1 when alot of the guts were re written but in 9.0? It doesn't make any kind of sense.

Hopefully we will see and end to this type of mismanagement under the IBM. I'd rather have a nice stable product where the 99.999% of the system that we use every day just works without us even having to think about what is going on. The resource that goes into all the salesware in TM1 really frustrates me....

And while I'm ranting the thing that really annoys me about these random bugs that creep back into TM1 is that when your developing and something doesn't work I always seem to waste ages checking my own script when it's a bug. (Wasted an hour of my life Wednesday debugging TI and scratching my head only to remember that the release we are on suffers from the ViewZeroOut command running with user security applied, I won't forget it again!).

Anyway I must have drunk too much coffee or something, rant off...

On a more positive note it is Friday! :D
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
Steve Vincent
Site Admin

Post by Steve Vincent »

Steve Rowe wrote:On a more positive note it is Friday! :D
Couldn't agree more, in 40 minutes i'll be on holiday for a week! :D
Steve Vincent
Site Admin

Post by Steve Vincent »

well, i didn't think changing the TI's dim order in the cellputN would work, and i was right. Curiously tho, after i ordered the cube back to it's original state (only 10% bigger which is better than i'd thought) it still failed to run. The view was created correctly, but the TI still crashed the service. Guess there is something in the background that it's upset with, but we're still awaiting a reply from Engineering as to if this was fixed in 9.0 or not...
Eric
MVP
Version: 9.4
Excel Version: 2003

Post by Eric »

Never a fan of my following suggestion, but it works. Can you rebuild the cube and reload the data? <Duck as I find out I am in the "spanner's" trajectory>
Regards,
Eric
Blog: http://tm1-tipz.blogspot.com
Articles: http://www.google.com/reader/shared/use ... /label/TM1

Production: 32 bit 9.0 SP2, Windows 2000 Advanced Server. Web: 32 bit 9.0 SP2, Windows 2000 Server. Excel 2003